Tyre Pressures

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
Old English White

Re: Tyre Pressures

Post by Old English White »

I still use an old fashioned pencil type gauge and find it most accurate ;)
Mini Mad Swede

Post by Mini Mad Swede »

A question for the original poster:
If one tyre would have to low pressure can that cause the car to slow down or even shut down completely?

Was told that Audi will shut down if a tyre hasnt been topped ut within 30 kilometers/20 miles after first warning, if THAT IS true then the tech in our cars have gone way to far.
IslandBlue

Post by IslandBlue »

Mini Mad Swede wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:12 pm A question for the original poster:
If one tyre would have to low pressure can that cause the car to slow down or even shut down completely?

Was told that Audi will shut down if a tyre hasnt been topped ut within 30 kilometers/20 miles after first warning, if THAT IS true then the tech in our cars have gone way to far.
Not as far as I am aware, if it's a bit low it just keeps warning you, whether it would refuse to start/drive or insist on stopping if the pressure fell too low I don't know. Time to RTFM (read the f*?>@! manual) - I will report back ;)
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

In the late 70's, as the engineer in a ModSports team, an AVON rep, seeing that we were racing on Avons, came over to us and started chatting. We didn't tell him that our tyres were all part worn/used from a Formula team in Reading of course. He gave me a sooper-dooper accurate dial readout gauge in a leather pouch. I used to have it calibrated annually when I had the facility, but just use it as-is now. Apparently the worst thing you can do is to leave the gauge (or ANY gauge) rattling around in the bottom of your tool box!

My wife's Gofl GTi has a yellow tyre display the seems to come on and off as it pleases
IslandBlue

Post by IslandBlue »

IslandBlue wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:43 pm
Mini Mad Swede wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:12 pm A question for the original poster:

Not as far as I am aware, if it's a bit low it just keeps warning you, whether it would refuse to start/drive or insist on stopping if the pressure fell too low I don't know. Time to RTFM (read the f*?>@! manual) - I will report back ;)
Well this evening the car announced that pressure was too low and that I should not exceed 80mph!! I measured the offending tyre and the reading was 24psi (s/be 33) so I don't think that driving at 80mph would have been very clever.

Having read the manual there's nothing to suggest the car might stop or refuse to drive.