Tyre Pressures

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
IslandBlue

Tyre Pressures

Post by IslandBlue »

My modern car is doing my head in with its tyre pressures, not just the slow puncture courtesy of our rotten roads but the variability of different measuring devices:

1. The onboard monitoring system
2. My Halfords digital pressure gauge (nifty gadget with a digital tread gauge too: https://www.halfords.com/tools/garage-e ... 39116.html )
3. Ring electric pump
4. Large bicycle pump

These all give different readings and I wonder which is most trustworthy? I'd tend to take 3 & 4 with a pinch of salt but both 1 & 2 read psi to one decimal place. Helpfully the Halfords specification doesn't include any accuracy range :roll: but how accurate are these on board monitors? (Car is a Bini btw.)

To cap it all I had the car serviced today and they've obviously topped up the pressures but either they didn't check the manual or their gauge reads rather low as the on board monitor is now reading about 4-5 psi higher than when I dropped it off this morning!
Rolandino

Re: Tyre Pressures

Post by Rolandino »

Hi,

I use a Venhill Tyre pressure gauge, see it at https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/venhill ... i-vhpvt32/

Whenever I go o a Mini7 race meeting and the Dunlop truck is there (and I remember to bring the gauge with me) , I get the pressure gauge checked. Its never been wrong!
IslandBlue

Post by IslandBlue »

Thanks, that looks like something to add to my birthday present list!
Spider

Post by Spider »

I'd suggest using the gauge that gives the most consistent readings, observing your tyres over time for they way they wear and maintaining that pressure as according to your repeatable gauge. The value of the numbers don't matter so much as achieving the same number each time.

I'm sure you are aware, but just to be sure that base is covered, the tyre pressures will vary with temperature, both ambient (only by a small amount) but more so from being driven.

They are all somewhat cheap and never the most accurately calibrated items. If you really wanted the scale to read correctly, you could send it off for calibration, though, that'll likely cost 5 times what you would have paid for the gauge.
floormanager

Post by floormanager »

Best gauge I've found is an oldie but goldie
dunlop.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IslandBlue

Post by IslandBlue »

Spider wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:39 pm I'd suggest using the gauge that gives the most consistent readings, observing your tyres over time for they way they wear and maintaining that pressure as according to your repeatable gauge. The value of the numbers don't matter so much as achieving the same number each time.

I'm sure you are aware, but just to be sure that base is covered, the tyre pressures will vary with temperature, both ambient (only by a small amount) but more so from being driven.

They are all somewhat cheap and never the most accurately calibrated items. If you really wanted the scale to read correctly, you could send it off for calibration, though, that'll likely cost 5 times what you would have paid for the gauge.
I've probably bigged up my confusion to be honest topped off by the garage adding to the mix but whether that's because their gauge is wrong or they were working to the wrong data I don't know (although it's all on a sticker in the door shut!) which reminds me I must let some air out of the tyres now.

I was aware of the temperature variation and with the on board monitoring it is possible to see how the pressures rise as the tyres warm up, but as you say the main thing is that the wear is even which it pretty much is so I've not been far off so far.
IslandBlue

Post by IslandBlue »

floormanager wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:05 pm Best gauge I've found is an oldie but goldie
Ah yes, my dad used to have one of them although he'd lost the lid and the end of the tube was all bent so you had to shake it to get the thing out!
floormanager

Post by floormanager »

IslandBlue wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:19 pm
Ah yes, my dad used to have one of them although he'd lost the lid and the end of the tube was all bent so you had to shake it to get the thing out!
Ditto, my Dad also. Perhaps they were given away when they left school?? :D
Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

My Dad is the same. Always checks tyres with one of those and swears they are more accurate.

The problem with garage ones is that they get chucked on the floor which messes up the calibration.
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Go Period ..Just give the Tyres a "Kicking" .. works for me ;)