Intelligent Speed Assistant tools

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
hanlminiman
Location: Still in a Car Home in North Cotswolds, close to Prescott Hill Climb & Stratford upon Avon UK

Intelligent Speed Assistant tools

Post by hanlminiman »

New motoring laws in 2021 includes this. In my Minis? Have you noticed it's left hand drive?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1071 S

Re: Intelligent Speed Assistant tools

Post by 1071 S »

That's one of the benefits (where I live) of having a Mk I. You don't have to comply with any vehicle design rules that didn't exist when your car was built. (were there any??? 8-)

That means I don't even have to fit seat belts.... although I do draw a line there. And it doesn't stop me fitting those advances in technology that I deem useful... like seat belts, radial tyres, disc brakes, halogen headlights .. and even GPS.

Cheers, Ian
'S'-type

Post by 'S'-type »

Er, isn't the whole thing rendered pointless by the possibility that the 'driver can override system by pushing harder on the accellerator'?

No change there then. Good to see a driver can still
be free to override the limits of their own driving ability by pressing harder on the accellerator. As you do.

Now where are my brown corduroys?
Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

Only a matter of time that speeding fines will automatically be issued via this system :shock:
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Do not worry remember its Positive Earth ..so this intelligent system will blow up on activation :lol:
goff

Post by goff »

1071 S wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:57 am .. and even GPS.

Cheers, Ian
Better times without GPS / Sat Nav ;) ,When you have to keep asking your way :lol: :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
IslandBlue

Post by IslandBlue »

'S'-type wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:36 pm Er, isn't the whole thing rendered pointless by the possibility that the 'driver can override system by pushing harder on the accellerator'?
Well I suppose there are situations when it might be necessary to accelerate out of impending trouble and avoid an accident so I suppose that's the intention of this feature. It also rather reinforces the redundancy of the (weak) excuse of "I didn't realise how fast I was going".... ;)
Rolandino

Post by Rolandino »

Well, I just bought a new 5 series BMW and if has the most annoying "safety" (not) feature....vicinity warning. A truck went past me on a dual carriageway far too close to me. The steering rattled, bells and hoops went off. I fartedwith fright and it was nearly a full follow-through. You cant even switch it off. What's the point? Who is driving who, me or the car?
IslandBlue

Post by IslandBlue »

Rolandino wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:01 pm Well, I just bought a new 5 series BMW and if has the most annoying "safety" (not) feature....vicinity warning. A truck went past me on a dual carriageway far too close to me. The steering rattled, bells and hoops went off. I fartedwith fright and it was nearly a full follow-through. You cant even switch it off. What's the point? Who is driving who, me or the car?
Had a similar experience with automatic braking on my Bini, it warns you from time to time with a beep and a warning light when it thinks you're on course to hit something (although it's surprisingly intelligent most of the time and I did once stumble across a sensitivity setting in one of the menus somewhere).

It once activated the brakes as well - although I wasn't aware of anything that would have caused me to brake :shock: :?
Bitsilly

Post by Bitsilly »

Yep, Audi Q7, went freakin crazy and blamed my driving for the truck pulling in front too close (it was heavy traffic conditions and both drivers understood what was going on).
Problem was I was driving not my wife!