TfL makes more from Congestion Charge fines than payments

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
mab01uk

TfL makes more from Congestion Charge fines than payments

Post by mab01uk »

"Motorists were handed fines totaling up to £130million by Transport for London over the course of a year for failing to pay the capital's Congestion Charge. That is more than double the £52million in revenue it earned from those who did observe the daily rate to drive into Central London over the same period, a new report has revealed.
The Congestion Charge is currently levied on any car unless the vehicle emits less than 75g/km of CO2 and has a minimum 20-mile zero emissions range - meaning only pure EVs and hybrids are eligible to avoid the charge.
Failure to pay the daily rate results in a fine of £160, reduced to £80 if paid within 14 days.
A fine can be avoided completely if motorists remember to pay the London Congestion Charge within three days of traveling within the specified zone.
Citroen conducted the research in a bid to encourage sales of its own electric vehicle fleet, including the new e-C4, e-SpaceTourer and e-Dispatch van
'Not only do they help drivers save significantly on running costs, but as our latest research shows, they also eliminate the chance of unexpected and expensive fines for forgetting the Congestion Charge Zone payment and other low emission zone tariffs,' said Eurig Druce, Citroen UK's managing director."
https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/car ... ments.html
IslandBlue

Re: TfL makes more from Congestion Charge fines than payments

Post by IslandBlue »

Interesting, look out next for Clean Air Zones which will also incur charges for some vehicles and presumably the risk of fines...

The first Clean Air Zones will launch in Bath on 15 March 2021 followed by Birmingham on 1 June 2021. You can check whether you might be affected here: https://www.gov.uk/check-clean-air-zone-charge Punching in a few reg nos. suggests modern cars and classics won't be impacted but older cars that aren't historics might be.

London of course already has Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) and Low Emission Zone (LEZ) - looks like my 998 Cooper would pay nothing in the LEZ but £12.50 in the ULEZ.
nick@dunsdale

Post by nick@dunsdale »

mab01uk wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:12 am "Motorists were handed fines totaling up to £130million by Transport for London over the course of a year for failing to pay the capital's Congestion Charge.
130 Million thats incredible amount of money

Thanks for posting i have wondered which vehicles pay this charge, the vast majority by the sound of it
The best repairs go un-noticed
Minisprinter

Post by Minisprinter »

I must admit all these type of zones make me laugh, they can call it what they like but it's just a tax pure and simple. If they really wanted to clean the air up, just ban all non commercial vehicles, and make everybody travel on the covid/asbestos ridden public transport.

MS
OzOAP

Post by OzOAP »

Kahn, the prick in charge of London, tells everyone not to use public transport, them puts up congestion charge.
It is not about clean air, it is all about revenue raising.
Rolandino

Post by Rolandino »

I sure as hell will not vote for him to remain as Mayor. he has completely killed London and has been , by far the worst Mayor we have ever had., Theatres, Restaurants, Museums and Retail shops and now even taxis are a dying breed. Buses are the worst polluters, and yet they can drive into the congestion charge. How about banning those and getting electric buses ? Hes made enough money to pay for them, or is he building up a pension fund for himself? So now, the only way to get into London is by Tube, and that isnt cheap either, also run the risk of getting mugged, contacting Covid or worse still, miss the last train and ending up sleeping in Green Park.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

He also told London tube travellers to practice social distancing, then cut the number of trains running at peak times so passengers had to pack in closer together into even fewer carriages! Caused massive polluting traffic jams on busy London roads that used to keep moving by narrowing traffic lanes and widening near empty cycle lanes....meanwhile Sadiq Khan travels around London in the back of his chauffeured £300,000 armoured Range Rover or has it following from behind when he is out on his bike for a media photo opportunity.
roymck

Post by roymck »

TFL are a joke , all cars that are over 40 yrs old and in the Historic category are meant to be ULEZ exempt . So I put my 63 Mini reg on the site to check and it says it’s not exempt! So I emailed them and after 4 days got a reply that said it was not exempt and subject to charge . All they did was to look at there own site to give me the same answer . They must know it’s over 40 yrs old and therefore not subject to charge but they just can’t be bothered .
8662 FN Austin Mini

Yes I know it’s not original

My wife says I don’t listen to her or something like that !
hanlminiman
Location: Still in a Car Home in North Cotswolds, close to Prescott Hill Climb & Stratford upon Avon UK

Post by hanlminiman »

So glad I moved out of the Greater London area especially as the outer borough I lived in for decades is to be included in the enlarged charging zone.