Smart motorways in the news again....

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
Bitsilly

Re: Smart motorways in the news again....

Post by Bitsilly »

I have drifted through life for a while while on the motorways and have had a few chats with my passengers.
We had decided that those Smart motorways roadworks would have something to do with offering electronic support to autonomus cars or better feedback to sat nav apps or some similar space age progress.

Seriously, 'Smart' means no hard (safety) shoulder!!!

Why didn't I realise that!
LDR209H

Post by LDR209H »

I’m a regular M6 user of the wretched section just north of Birmingham. I’ve been hit twice by foreign HGV’s who like to think it’s a fun sport by intimidating cars especially in the contra flow sections.
After the first incident (on the contra flow)I’d been shunted down the middle lane by a Lithuanian truck (driver probably on a 20hr day)because he hadn’t seen the car that had stopped in the inside lane until it was too late. So hitting me was a 10mph shunt instead of a 60 mph head on (I would estimate about 75% of all HGV’s speed on the 50mph limited sections).
When I got to the second services afterwards (1st one was to try and get drivers credentials from someone who didn’t speak a word of English,that was fun,he had a babelfish type app on his phone) I went and found a cop to find out what needed to be done ‘Nothing. It’s you against him,what do you want me to do about it’he said. Raging by this point he then pointed out.
‘How do you think WE feel ? Absolute carnage is a common sight along here and ourselves and the emergency services have no way of getting to the front of the now 3 mile queue because there’s no hard shoulder’. Hadn’t thought of that.
Later on I contacted my insurance company to inform them of the fun days’ events and they said ‘unfortunately despite the fact you have fully comprehensive insurance with business use we treat collisions with foreign HGV’s as your liability even if you aren’t at fault(you pay excess,lose NCD,get a crap hire car whilst yours is in for repair etc etc)because we have virtually 0% chance of retrieving any monies from the HGV operator.This isn’t just how my insurance company operate either it’s ALL of them (no surprises though !)
Do you think the world’s gone bonkers ?
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Nothing worse than being in a contraflow in the dark and rain with a foreign HGV sitting on your rear bumper who has no chance of stopping if anything happens ahead, you can't escape because of traffic in all lanes and speed cameras through the road works mean you can't away accelerate to safety either. To make matters worse the protracted road works are usually caused by the conversion to yet another stretch of dangerous 'Smart' motorway widening on the cheap...

Also never stay in lane alongside a foreign HGV sitting in their blindspot, always pass as quickly as possible and only when you can see clear space in your lane well beyond the truck. Side swipes into cars from LHD trucks are very common in Kent where HGV's are travelling to/from the Channel Tunnel and Ferry Ports.
LDR209H

Post by LDR209H »

mab01uk wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:18 pm Nothing worse than being in a contraflow in the dark and rain with a foreign HGV sitting on your rear bumper who has no chance of stopping if anything happens ahead, you can't escape because of traffic in all lanes and speed cameras through the road works mean you can't away accelerate to safety either. To make matters worse the protracted road works are usually caused by the conversion to yet another stretch of dangerous 'Smart' motorway widening on the cheap...

Also never stay in lane alongside a foreign HGV sitting in their blindspot, always pass as quickly as possible and only when you can see clear space in your lane well beyond the truck. Side swipes into cars from LHD trucks are very common in Kent where HGV's are travelling to/from the Channel Tunnel and Ferry Ports.
You’ve just described incident no2 to a tee,within a fortnight of the first one. Car didn’t look too fancy after second one (my skid pan training came into good use though !)
Portugeuse one this time with no camera or even a mirror on rhs.
‘Three strikes and your out ?’
Only got 32 days of work left before retirement and hope the luck holds out !
Pete

Post by Pete »

On the two occasions I got tailgated,or cut up by HGVs on the M6 recently one was a U.K. food tanker and one was a lunatic Royal Mail juggernought. I reported both of them, the RM driver to the police. Bearing in mind I was doing about 54 in a 50 but that just wasn’t fast enough for him so I got the flashing lights, the horn, the bumpdraft, the lot. I reckon thousands are getting speeding tickets for being pushed along the M6 or M1 by trucks at the moment. How the truckers get away with it I have absolutely no idea. That’s not to say cars and vans aren’t speeding, but you don’t get pressured to do it yourself by them driving up your arse.