The Law Is So Very Unfair

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
rolesyboy

Re: The Law Is So Very Unfair

Post by rolesyboy »

Supersonic wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:28 pm
rolesyboy wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:30 pm
Supersonic wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:15 pm I’ve a mate who earlier this month was convicted for drink driving coming up to Christmas. He was over the legal limit and lost his drivers licence. He had a large collection of firearms and is a very much respected clay pigeon trainer and rifle coach. The same block represented all Ireland in the world games.

A nicier gentleman you will never find, yes he was over the limit, we have all been to parties I'm sure.

Is there no mercy or leniency anymore? :?:

Alan
Have you been drinking too Alan?? You must be really pissed if you think some cock (sorry -grown man) who was over the legal limit deserves to hang on to his driving licence till he wipes somebody out or maims them while on his way to a clay pigeon shoot to represent Ireland.

To quote a mate of mine' where's the justice....
I am baffled that you would make this post
Rolesboy,

Firstly, I have not been drinking tonight and hope to get a couple of drinks on Saturday all being well. Firstly the point I’ve made is not about drink driving, it is the vindictive way the system is setup to cause further ruthless measures. I’ve already said you take that chance you pay the price. The point I make is why the authorities want to stick the boot in when someone falls by the wayside which is not nice to witness.

I’m not baffled in any way about making this post, as a matter of interest; I’m baffled what your real name is?

Alan
You’re unbelievable. Your post was badly written in the first place ie you missed out the point you were trying to make. I questioned if you had been drinking as drinking affects you’re judgment. You posted something pretty bizarre.
Drinking particularly at the levels where you get convicted of drink driving tends to make it more difficult to control a car (or a firearm) for that matter. I would imagine the courts viewed this risk in a similar way with your mate
The system isn’t vindictive. It’s there to prevent harm injury or any number of other consequences to you’re lovely mate and the rest of us.
The price your mate paid is fair on both counts. I don’t think authorities want to stick the boot in. They could probably do without the aggravation that goes with it. They are simply upholding the law. In this example your lovely mate didn’t.

I was the one that was baffled by your making the post. Judging by the response it would appear everybody else was too.
I’m still baffled
Mark
Rolesyboy
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

Supersonic wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:57 pm I often have said, not a bit of wonder people don’t post on forums as some people answer posts before understanding them :?: :?:

Alan
Maybe if you read your own post back you’d see why you got many of the comments? To simplify what it said:
“Man drinks and drives, get caught and loses license.
He has guns, teaches shooting and has shot for Ireland.
He’s a nice bloke.
Isn’t the law unfair.”

You never mention once in the original post that he lost his guns as a result of his drink driving.
However as has been said, the terms of him having a firearms licence, which he would’ve been made fully aware of, dictate that he would lose it in such a circumstance.
Mini-geek

Post by Mini-geek »

On the plus side this has made for some great reading
rolesyboy

Post by rolesyboy »

Trump leaves the Oval office and we thought it was all over 😂
Rolesyboy
swifty

Post by swifty »

Alan , I've got to ask . What is your reason for posting this on a mini forum ! ... ken
1963 austin Cooper s mk1 1071
1966 Austin Cooper s mk1 1275
1968 Austin Cooper mk2 998
1962 Morris mini super 850
Porsche 997 turbo S
Ford transit van 280s
Supersonic

Post by Supersonic »

rolesyboy wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:35 pm Trump leaves the Oval office and we thought it was all over 😂
Mark & Graeme,

Firstly, I’m replying to you both as I want to keep this conversation polite which you seem to not what.

I’m a decent man and would never condone drinking and driving and never have in my nearly 50 years driving so let that be clear. I really hope no one on this forum every makes the same mistake in their lifetime. We in our life will all make mistakes and If you think otherwise then you are better persons than me and many others. This post was to openly chat about general issues in the General Chat section, not a rant according to what D whoever his real name said. I’ve no hidden agenda on any subject I add. If you think I’m not capable of proper written communication, only your opinion full stop, and you are entitled to it 100%. Not a bit of wonder many are terrified about writing posts on this forum.

Alan
Supersonic

Post by Supersonic »

swifty wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:42 pm Alan , I've got to ask . What is your reason for posting this on a mini forum ! ... ken
Ken,

It is on the open chat section, and was only posted as a talking point, surely the open chat section is about general things, I get your point and thank you, never again trust me :)

Alan
mk1coopers

Post by mk1coopers »

I don't think anyone should be terrified of posting on this forum, this subject is way off base compared to most of the threads in General Chat and I'm afraid I too was baffled as the original post didn't contain all the information to explain the link between losing both the driving and firearms licences.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Firearm regulations are quite rightly very strict indeed.

This is to ensure that owning a firearm doesn't not put members of the public or the owner at risk.

Sadly, when your mate signed his certificate application he agreed to be a law abiding citizen and should have been well aware that if he broke the law he would undoubtedly loose his Firearm licence. When he was found guilty of drinking & driving he demonstrated to the authorities that he had a casual disregard for the law & as such was not a person fit to hold a firearms certificate.

He & you may not think this is fair, but it is exactly what he signed up for.

I have personal skin in this game as following the end of an unhappy romance my son lost his certificate because a bitter ex phoned the licencing people & said they should take his licence off him. This they did within 24 hours.

Despite there being no reason for this he has been knocked back subsequently. I would suggest that in the great scheme of things your mate has absolutely nothing to grumble about at all.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
850man

Post by 850man »

mk1 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:39 am Firearm regulations are quite rightly very strict indeed.

This is to ensure that owning a firearm doesn't not put members of the public or the owner at risk.

Sadly, when your mate signed his certificate application he agreed to be a law abiding citizen and should have been well aware that if he broke the law he would undoubtedly loose his Firearm licence. When he was found guilty of drinking & driving he demonstrated to the authorities that he had a casual disregard for the law & as such was not a person fit to hold a firearms certificate.

He & you may not think this is fair, but it is exactly what he signed up for.
Exactly.
Well said.

I am a firearms licence holder, a member of the sporting shooters accociation and a competition pistol club.
To be able to join the pistol club I had to have a criminal record check done and my fingerprints taken.
Any criminal record that resulted in a conviction is an automatic rejection to the club and if convicted of a crime while holding a firearms licence is a 5 year automatic ban.

It is a difficult process to obtain a firearms licence here in Australia these days, and even harder to get a pistol licence.
You have to prove to the law that you are a trustworthy citizen.

If you get caught drink driving, you are breaking the laws that you said that you would not break, proving that you are not trustworthy.

Firearms owners often get a raw deal, but they often bring it apon themselves as well. The laws a strict, but they have to be.

Regardless of his previous history, he made a mistake and now has to pay the price. He only has himself to blame.
Rocket Scientist