WTH? Personal costly experience with shipping an order from UK to EU

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
mk1coopers

Re: WTH? Personal costly experience with shipping an order from UK to EU

Post by mk1coopers »

I've imported things from the US before, always has the card saying it can't be delivered until Royal Mail get their cut (despite the original couriers not being Royal mail), yet my other half ordered a load of cosmetics from a US company and it arrived with nothing else to pay :shock: , had to also fight them (Royal Mail) to prove that a parcel that came from Australia that was genuinely a hand made gift from a relative (for the birth of my Son) as they thought it was a commercial purchase (proved that one in the end)

As to the B word, it's done now, no way was it ever going to be easy as the EU was always going to make an example of us to discourage others from doing the same, will it pay off in the long run, I don't know, both sides need each other so hopefully (in time) things will smooth out, unfortunately history has proved that the UK isn't the sort of (population) nation that likes being put in a corner, back when this all started I think it would have not got to this stage if the EU had compromised when DC went over there, as Pete said he came back with what amounted to a FU as the political elite were all very confident that it (the referendum) would only ever go one way, as with DT getting into power in the US it was just a time when people felt they had lost control and a change was needed, the vote went the way the 'elite' didn't expect.
InnoCooperExport

Post by InnoCooperExport »

I think Brexit will have been the death of most of the car shows I used to go to (in those heady pre-Corona days) here in NL. We had shows where MG parts dealers like Andy Jennings, Moto Build, etc would come over and exhibit their wares or deliver orders for people thus saving on shipping. That will all be a thing of the past now. Not to mention I'm sure a lot of our parts dealers get their parts from the UK meaning all the prices will go up as well.

I also don't see the Mini7's coming over for their round in Zandvoort anymore either, probably not worth the customs hassle, I notice it's not on their calendar anymore either which is a great shame. They were great fun to watch and I'm sure they would be even better on the new circuit now some of the hairpins allow multiple lines. The same will go for FIA Masters and Goodwood, a lot of the guys in those classes used to come over from the UK for the Historic Grand Prix in September usually the week before the Revival for a shakedown, maybe there will be fewer competitors for that as well, and the same vice versa. One of the most dominant teams at The Revival the last few years have been father and son Hart. Both Dutch and both regulars at Zandvoort with the HARC, wonder if they will bother shipping over as many cars to Goodwood as they usually do.

As a Brit abroad I am deeply saddened by Brexit and hope things will run more smoothly in the future, but I sincerely doubt it.
Of course I know what a dipstick is, you get called something often enough you look it up!
66Traveller

Post by 66Traveller »

hicklingmick wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:33 pm Anybody with any sense knew the first few months would be hard.

Some countries hate us for leaving because it means they have to stump up more money so therefore putting obstacles in the way.

Macron has admitted hes making it hard for us but also if France was given a vote ,it would probably mean Frexit.

Theres too many corrupt people in the world nowadays (as just been proved in USA with rigged ballots ) and George Sorus is backing them.
Nobody "hates" the UK for leaving the EU.The EU unanimously agreed its next long term budget in December for the remaining 27 member Countries - nobody minded "stumping up more money".

As for "putting obstacles in our way", this is not the case. But, there are obviously consequences to leaving. And these are unfortunately not "teething problems" on the basis of the UK's new relationship with the EU which by the government's choice is outside of both the Customs Union and the Single Market (apart from Northern Ireland - hence the need for controls between the mainland and NI).

The EU is a Treaty based organisation designed to eliminate tariff and non tariff bariers between its members and thereby to create a single market of 500 million consumers. If you are an EU member you are bound by the rules and you make a financial contribution. In return you get four main freedoms: goods, services, capital and persons. If you don't respect the rules you get taken to court and fined. It is a club that works for the benefit of its members. Not complicated.

If you leave you obviously don't get any of those things any more. Yes you save your annual contribution ( UK average net annual contribution 2014-2018 = £6.4 billion) but you have to pay import duties and customs clearance costs for goods (likely to be more than £6.4 billion per year), there are phyto-sanitary restrictions on plant and animal products, you have border delays, you lose the right to live and work in any EU Member State,you cannot sell services into the EU, professional qualifications gained in the UK are no longer automatically recognised. Any goods originating from the UK have to meet strict WTO Rules of Origin requirements whereby more than half has to be locally produced content to qualify for tariff free access and this has to be proved. These are the consequences of leaving: they are not the EU trying to punish anyone - that is just how international trade (and sovereignty) works.

As for setting standards and no longer having these decided in Brussels as in the past (albeit with the agreement of the British government), standards are set by the market that you want to sell into. That is the reason why the engines of British cars in the early 1970s were strangled with US federal spec emissions control kit and why the MGB ended up with raised suspension and big plastic bumpers. True it was a sovereign - in fact a commercial - decision to conform to these standards. But I can't see that leaving the EU suddenly frees UK companies from following EU standards - and given the size of the EU market its hard to see the EU deciding to abandon its own standards to substitute them for British ones.

But enough of this...
r.tec

Post by r.tec »

Now it is how it is. UK will perhaps be member of the EU in 50 years' time again. I won't be here in that time span, that is sure. Perhaps the Republic of Scotland will be a member sooner than that.

Brittain is now a country like China or India from EU view. That is okay. If I did not have a weak spot for a little British car and I took care about a Simca Rallye 2 or a Renault 8 Gordini or some of the Italian cars like Autobianchis or Fiat 500/600 I would personally not spare a single thought of the Brexit. Your majority wanted it and you got it. Simple as that. You really could not expect to leave and everything would be the same economically as before.

I had the impression many leavers liked the idea of returning to the Victorian Age. Well go on. Dig Queen Vicotria out and try to clone her of what is left of her. Then you should do the same with Drake, Wellington etc. Do not forget Churchill (the one with the idea of the US of Europe!)... oh no, he would not fit the leavers. And then dump all the modern ships and build wooden sailing ships again. Hmm, the Chinese could probably build those cheaper too.

In all, it is a lose-lose situation and that will be for a very long time.....
Stop making stupid people famous!
Pete

Post by Pete »

r.tec wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:25 pm I had the impression many leavers liked the idea of returning to the Victorian Age
:lol: which is exactly what the media tried their absolute best to get you to believe, and clearly succeeded! :lol: Leaving what many saw as an uncompromising economic protection racket and an undemocratic political union who’s sole unrealistic aim ultimately was to remove and override the power of individual nation governments voted for by YOU across Europe was clearly not seen as a backward step to many. Yes James I agree let’s sack the politics now, there’s enough of that just about everywhere else, it only divides people. I’ll lock this off now if that’s ok.

If anyone wants to start a thread about shipping without re-running the Brexit debate please feel free and best of luck! :lol:
pad4

Post by pad4 »

What ever happened to that great British - ahh fuck em we’ll manage attitude ?

Once everyone get to know the system it will get easier - its 4 weeks into a completely new way of shipping so its just mass panic at the moment.

Gotta learn how to play the system i guess , fiddle the fiddlers

Tally ho - stiff upper lip - tickety boo what what
Spider

Post by Spider »

There was another $90.00 Invoice I missed in my last in the thread.

While I did start that thread off with a 'welcome to the rest of the world' I * think * what maybe being over looked here is that while back when I did that Import, the UK was firmly in the EU with all those 'privileges', however, as I see things now that the UK is 'out' doors that were once open and 2 way between the UK and the EU could and should open open between the UK and the rest of the world - opportunity awaits ;)
pdb

Post by pdb »

FB_IMG_1608337551228.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Just been a programme on local BBC about a cheese producer who’s having the same issue, DHL bringing all of his EU export product back due to lack of certification. The extra certification sounds like lack of preparation and will cost him more to do. It’s fair to say the deal was struck so late businesses haven’t had time to adapt, It appears many didn’t realise that different countries within the EU have separate requirements for certification , not one! Yes, it’s true that some will now be wondering if they should have bothered standing up to and opting out of the EU master plan. Bit like regretting your last dentist visit.
MiNiKiN

Post by MiNiKiN »

Pete wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:31 am Just been a programme on local BBC about a cheese producer who’s having the same issue, DHL bringing all of his EU export product back due to lack of certification. The extra certification sounds like lack of preparation and will cost him more to do. It’s fair to say the deal was struck so late businesses haven’t had time to adapt, It appears many didn’t realise that different countries within the EU have separate requirements for certification , not one! Yes, it’s true that some will now be wondering if they should have bothered standing up to and opting out of the EU master plan. Bit like regretting your last dentist visit.

Shouldn't be too much of an issue, mature cheddar is worth more anyway, init?
:lol: :lol:

and BTW: not only was the deal struck too late, but BB* and his buddies failed in organising the brewery piss-up.
Hence there was no time for the actually working administrative forces to put everything in place in time. As simple as that.

*Bloomin Boris
If only I knew the power of the Dark Side...I wouldn't have made contact with an Innocenti :mrgreen: