WTH? Personal costly experience with shipping an order from UK to EU

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
mk1
Site Admin

Re: WTH? Personal costly experience with shipping an order from UK to EU

Post by mk1 »

And to think, for ages Boris was saying he would be blissfully happy with an "Australia style deal"

i.e. No fricken deal at all!
Mark F
General dogsbody.
MiNiKiN

Post by MiNiKiN »

Spider wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:00 am Yes, welcome to the rest of the world.

Piracy on the High Seas IS alive and well.

Outside of the UK and the EU, it's a case of bending over hard and grabbing your ankles :o
Ok, I will not complain any more :shock:
Whatever you bought, for that sort of money you could have as well had it chiseled out of a block of steel localy.
If only I knew the power of the Dark Side...I wouldn't have made contact with an Innocenti :mrgreen:
nick rogers

Post by nick rogers »

I have an EORI number and I have been using 8 digit tariff codes for several years but I hear that parcels with all this info are still getting returned to sender. On BBC 'You and Yours' on Monday the owner of an antiques business who did everything correctly has had all her exports to the EU since Jan 1st returned. She claims to have lost 72 customers already. So until further notice I will not be attempting to send any parts to an EU country. BJ blames teething problems for empty shelves in Ulster supermarkets, tons of Scottish fish being dumped and all the other ills of this insane decision. I wonder if any of the other businesses like mine who regularly attend IMM's in Europe know how they will pass through customs with vans loaded with parts they intend to try to sell. I will not be going to the Italian IMM to trade (even though I have a free pass following the debacle of Mugello). I have driven freely through France, Belgium, Germany, Holland, Italy, Poland, Luxembourg, Austria, Hungary and Lithuania with a van full of Miniparts. But no longer. I consider myself a European and am immensely saddened by the fact of our cutting ourselves off from the community.
MiNiKiN

Post by MiNiKiN »

As I did live in the UK for quite a while and therefor have a very personal connection to country and people I feel very sad for those who oppose(-d) this insane decision.
BTW - re insanity: I have now asked DHL to explain their additional charges, as from what I can see Minispares has done everything correct to avoid additional handling fees.
AND: I should probably make Minispares aware of their shipping agent's pirate fees.
If only I knew the power of the Dark Side...I wouldn't have made contact with an Innocenti :mrgreen:
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I consider myself a European and am immensely saddened by the fact of our cutting ourselves off from the community.

Hear, Hear!!!
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Pete

Post by Pete »

When did this become a political forum? :lol: I think you’ll find most Brixiteers are firmly European, that wasnt exclusive to the leave camp believe it or not. The EU is an economic, legal and political union that most wanted out of , Europe’s a continent we’re still in! Pretty sure there were two sides to those trade negotiations aswell or was Boris just talking to himself? :lol:

I can see both sides of this conversation, be nice if it was represented though! Don’t let this forum turn into Facebook with its political echo chambers and constant arguing. I take it those in the EU have complained to their “MP”S for getting them such a bad deal? ;)
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Pete wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:04 am When did this become a political forum? :lol: I think you’ll find most Brixiteers are firmly European, that wasnt exclusive to the leave camp believe it or not. The EU is an economic, legal and political union that most wanted out of , Europe’s a continent we’re still in! Pretty sure there were two sides to those trade negotiations aswell or was Boris just talking to himself? :lol:

I can see both sides of this conversation, be nice if it was represented though! Don’t let this forum turn into Facebook with its political echo chambers and constant arguing. I take it those in the EU have complained to their “MP”S for getting them such a bad deal? ;)
Thanks Pete for highlighting those points to give some balance to this thread.
I was in favour of the original 'common market' but not of 'political union' which is now the ultimate aim of the EU.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

In all fairness, most of the thread is concerned with the piss poor arrangements that Boris & his cronies have manage to "negotiate" which have had a DIRECT impact on many members both in the UK & EU.

I will always think that it was the single most stupid thing that we have ever done, but from the point the referendum was lost I sincerely hoped that I was wrong & that we would be entering a "New Elizabethan Age" of prosperity & world economic domination.

So far, a lot of the predictions of the anti leave "doom mongers" have come to pass & I see nothing of the much vaunted "Brexit Bonus", with the possible exception of approving the COVID vaccine a few days before the rest of the civilised world.

There is room for all points of view here, I have never been interested in running an echo chamber. There has been a lot of whining about how hard it is to get Mini Parts across our borders since Jan 1st. So come on, please tell me what has improved so greatly since we left?
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Pete

Post by Pete »

I’m not sure short term gains, financial or otherwise were ever a realistic proposition. I also think most Brexiteers voted on principle rather than their wallet otherwise we’d all just be open to bribery, which to be fair is exactly how politics work. :lol: . The principle being that through free movement etc the EU wanted political and legal union and for that to continue year on year. That’s not something many subscribe to for very good reasons , our democracy pretty much getting handed over on a plate eventually and the results of those negotiations illustrate how both sides let us all down to some degree , not just one side as the media love to portray. The equalisation of economies across Europe was an unrealistic and potentially damaging plan as the Greeks , Spanish etc will tell you and political union is just fantasy.

Let’s get back to cars! :lol:
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Personally I have never had any difficulty with the UK being a heavy hitting player in a major transnational grouping. I personally think that it is hugely preferable to being a minor independent player on the global stage.

I think this was admirably demonstrated when the Tories managed to kill off a bill that would prevent us from dealing with countries that had been found guilty of Genocide! Talk about putting profit ahead of principals!

Government narrowly sees off Tory revolt over anti-genocide trade deal law
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-55723163

US: China 'committed genocide against Uighurs'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55723522
Mark F
General dogsbody.