WTH? Personal costly experience with shipping an order from UK to EU

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
66Traveller

Re: WTH? Personal costly experience with shipping an order from UK to EU

Post by 66Traveller »

It has effectively killed cross border trade for ordinary people - if I buy something off ebay UK not only has the shipping cost doubled but there is a £10 customs duties tariff on top of that. I posted something at the beginning of January from here to the UK - the cost has literally doubled as of 1 January so its now €35 minimum to send a parcel to the UK. Endless paperwork and it still hasn't arrived!

So much for the promised "frictionless, tariff free, quota free"... However the real killer is going to be Rules of Origin.
almondgreen

Post by almondgreen »

Similar experiences here, but Minispares North have been very helpful.

Let us hope that this are only teething problems and it will end good......or not.....
trevorhp

Post by trevorhp »

MiNiKiN wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:06 pm
trevorhp wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:27 pm Please try Transglobal express they are big and seem to have it sorted.
:?:
Thanks, but it seems I am bound to the delivery services offered by the vendors. Aint I?
I'm sending stuff daily using Transglobal Express and using them to import items too.
I ask the vendors if I can do a third party collection using my courier/shipper ....no one has refused so far.
They do all the paperwork if you request it on the booking.
Can't fault it so far this year.
I've even imported from the USA where my payment was done at the local Walmart store, the vendor just went in with the code I supplied and they paid him cash !!
"Ambition: the first step on the road to disappointment" Homer. J. Simpson
"Disappointment: the first step on the road to enlightenment" Buddha
"Enlightenment: the first step on the road to ambition" Dalai Lama
KDK 320F
HDK 443E
TFD 47G
PKV 375
I unidentified Ex Race Cooper S Bodyshell
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

As has already been said. This is a done deal & we will all just have to lump it.

We have now had a glimpse of some of the problems of Brexit, what about our wonderful "Brexit Bonus" that Virage & his chumps were always waffling on about?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ?
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Mini Mad Swede

Post by Mini Mad Swede »

When Sweden joined EU a friend complained that it ruined the profit of smuggling carparts from Uk 😂
Back in those days before EU you got the VAT back when you left UK, so if you accidently forgot to show it for the customs here...
Ok you didn't get cash in hand but a receipt so you could spend the VAT refund at next visit, but still.

Then there was the small matter if you got stopped in swedish customs and asked if you had bought anything for more than 1000 (Skr!) you could 'misunderstand' that as £1000
Which was a little bit different, £1000 is something like 11000-12000 Skr.

Some other friends bought a fairly new MG Metro engine/box and got three(!) receipts for it.
One with the actual price, one to show british police if stopped that it wasn't stolen and the last one to show the swedish customs 😂
Ah, those where the days!

As for postage costs, a stamp for a letter to UK is £2 or even more! (No you dont email a broschure).
DHL, Shenker and others must make a fortune from all the parcels.
gazza82

Post by gazza82 »

UHR850 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:20 pm :x A parcel was sent to me on the 5th of january from the UK to the Netherland by the Royal Mail. :| Still nothing :!:

Kees.
Our club magazines were posted in UK before Christmas and some still haven't arrived in UK .. some made it to Aus and NZ though

Most likely your parcel is still in UK!
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I don't know what all the fuss is about. . . EASY :lol:

Quick links
How to import and export goods between Great Britain and the UK from 1 January 2021

Making an import declaration in your records

Import Licences and certificates from 1 January 2021
From 1 January 2021 you’ll need to get a licence or certificate to import some types of goods into the UK. You might also need to pay an inspection fee for some goods before they are allowed into the UK. You can find out more here.

Export Licences and certificates from 1 January 2021
From 1 January 2021 you’ll need to get a licence or certificate to export some types of goods from the UK. You can find out more here.

Rules of Origin
With the signing of the UK-EU Trade and Cooperation Agreement, the vast majority of traders moving goods between the UK and EU will avoid paying tariffs on that trade. In order to avoid paying tariffs, all traders must – from 1 January – ‘claim preference’ by way of meeting the relevant Rules of Origin (RoO) for their products and making a declaration to that effect.

Businesses should ensure that the following actions are carried out as soon as possible so that they are ready to use the Agreement:

Check the rules that are applicable to their products to ensure that the products are originating in either the UK or EU and can therefore be traded on preferential terms. The general rules are found in Chapter 2 of the Trade and Cooperation Agreement and the ‘Product Specific Rules of Origin’ are contained in Annex ORIG-2.
Consult accompanying GOV.UK guidance [link below]
Make sure they and their EU suppliers/customers have agreed whether a claim will be based on an exporter’s declaration or on the importer’s knowledge, informing customs agents as appropriate
Get ready to make the appropriate statement on the commercial and customs documentation for all consignments being traded on and after 1 January
The relevant GOV.UK guidance on claiming preference, including links to the Agreement itself and information about customs codes etc., can be found here, alongside longer-form guidance on RoO in the agreement. Every business should consult the Agreement itself and the official guidance linked to above before acting.

To benefit from preferential tariffs when importing into the UK from the EU (or importing into the EU from the UK), the importer will be required to declare they hold proof that the goods comply with the rules of origin.

You’ll be entitled to claim the preferential rate of duty if you have either:

a statement on origin that the product is originating made out by the exporter
the importer’s knowledge that the product is originating
If you’re delaying your declarations for goods imported into the UK from the EU you only need to include the declare a proof of origin when you make your supplementary declaration.

A claim for preferential tariff treatment and the basis for that claim shall be included in the customs import declaration in accordance with the laws and regulations of the importing Party.

If using an exporter’s statement, that statement shall be made out using one of the language versions set out in ANNEX ORIG-4 of the Agreement, in an invoice or on any other commercial document that describes the originating product in sufficient detail to enable the identification of that product. The English language version is below:

The exporter shall be responsible for providing sufficient detail to allow the identification of the originating product. A statement on origin shall be valid for 12 months from the date it was made out or for such longer period as provided by the Party of import up to a maximum of 24 months. A statement on origin may apply to:

a single shipment of one or more products imported into a Party; or
multiple shipments of identical products imported into a Party within the period specified in the statement on origin, which shall not exceed 12 months.
(Period: from___________ to __________ )

The exporter of the products covered by this document (Exporter Reference No … ) declares that, except where otherwise clearly indicated, these products are of UK/EU [please choose] preferential origin.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………… (Place and date)

…………………………………………………………………………………………………… (Name of the exporter)

[In the EU the Exporter Reference Number will be the exporters Registered Exporter (REX) number. These are allocated if the exporter is exports consignments with a total value exceeding €6000. In the UK, the Exporter Reference Number will be the Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number. If the statement on origin is completed for multiple shipments of identical originating products within the meaning of point (b) of Article ORIG.19(4) [Statement on Origin] of the Agreement, indicate the period for which the statement on origin is to apply. That period shall not exceed 12 months. Importations of the product must occur within the period indicated. If a period is not applicable, the field may be left blank.]
Mark F
General dogsbody.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

OK, not quite as easy as wrapping it up, & sticking a stamp on it!
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Mini Mad Swede

Post by Mini Mad Swede »

mk1 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:09 pm OK, not quite as easy as wrapping it up, & sticking a stamp on it!
But almost :lol:
Spider

Post by Spider »

Yes, welcome to the rest of the world.

With the exception of Taxes - to a point (but supposedly no more), we have always had to pay those sort of fees.

DHL, Fedex, UPS and others are actually, not bad.

Using a general freight company, which I've had to do a few times on larger shipments, we also need to engage a local Pirate,,,, uummmm,,,,, I meant to say, Import Broker. Utter crooks. The fees they dream up, even they can't explain what each line is for, but insist it be paid or they won't release the box. So far, every one I have used, have also tried on billing me for the freight - again - at this end !

+ Asbestos Declarations - rort
+ Cleaning for Quarantine - rort
+ Quarantine charges - rort
+ Quarantine Storage - rort
+ Storage once it gets out if Quarantine - I'd say fair enough, only 9 times out of 10, I'm collecting direct once it comes out of Quarantine, so I don't know how they come up with that - rort
+ Fuel Levy - rort
+ Broker's Fees - rort

These Invoices all relate to just 1 shipment of 1 box - UK > Australia

Note on the first one who the Invoice is to, but sent to yours truly for payment;-

That was to have it loaded in the UK and freighted out here.

Then, once it arrives, another Invoice, usually on a different Invoice prefix to break the paper trail, even though it's supposed to be all on the same prefix;-

Then naturally, it fails Quarantine Inspection (and does so on every shipment)

So, another Invoice for Cleaning and Inspection

Note that it was STEAM CLEANED, yet when I picked it up, there was dry saw dust inside - how's that work ?

Re-inspection Charges and other dreamed up costs / charges,,,,

Then an Invoice for Quarantine Inspection (also done it that above, but charged here another way)

dreamed up costs / charges,,,,

+ a further Government Charge, that I'd already paid

Piracy on the High Seas IS alive and well.

Outside of the UK and the EU, it's a case of bending over hard and grabbing your ankles :o