Hamilton & Mercedes Situation

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
Pete

Re: Hamilton & Mercedes Situation

Post by Pete »

Minisprinter wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:40 pm I've never understood the resentment towards him apart from the fact for some strange reason this country prefers a plucky looser
I don’t think Moss, Clark, Hill, Hunt, Hill Jnr, Mansell, Stewart, Button, Coulthard etc etc were all plucky losers, they were all very well supported, mostly well loved winners. Lewis’s antics this year have evidently turned people off, I suspect coercing his fellow drivers to support what many see as a radical political party during F1 coverage didn’t win enough people over. But he got sports personality of the year and a knighthood so he’s not that hated and to many he’s a hero, but people make their own choices of who they support based on what they see. Hamilton’s pretty much disproved his own theory anyway, that anybody of any skin colour can get to the top in F1 (as long as they’re talented and wadded) and I think his efforts would be better directed encouraging black people into the sport instead of the racism accusations,
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

BLM is a lavishly funded Trotsykite shower of shit that is about causing trouble and division. No more no less. Anyone who kneels for the death of a violent career criminal can FRO. That includes LH who was given everything on a plate.
Racism is on the way out. The current generation of school kids doesn't really give a shit about skin colour, and the generation after that even less. You need to let these things work themselves out because you CANNOT force them. People will not be told what to think.
IslandBlue

Post by IslandBlue »

Costafortune wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:53 pm BLM is a lavishly funded Trotsykite shower of shit that is about causing trouble and division. No more no less. Anyone who kneels for the death of a violent career criminal can FRO. That includes LH who was given everything on a plate.
It's unfortunate that the wider meaning of BLM as a movement and related organizations broadly advocating against police violence towards black people as well as for various other policy changes to reduce racism is confused and tainted (with varying degrees of intent and/or lack of knowledge) with an extreme and comparatively insignificant element at one end of the BLM spectrum advocating defunding the police etc. etc. To suggest LH was handed everything on a plate is to overstate some good fortune and underplay a significant amount of hard work and talent.
Racism is on the way out. The current generation of school kids doesn't really give a shit about skin colour, and the generation after that even less. You need to let these things work themselves out because you CANNOT force them. People will not be told what to think.
What you say about younger people may be true, and hopefully the light will dawn on some of those who won't be told. In the meantime I don't think it's acceptable in a civilised country to simply ignore it and hope it goes away.
floormanager

Post by floormanager »

IslandBlue wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:31 pm To suggest LH was handed everything on a plate is to overstate some good fortune and underplay a significant amount of hard work and talent.
Didn't know you were such a F1 fan :D
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

“Racism is on the way out. The current generation of school kids doesn't really give a shit about skin colour, and the generation after that even less. You need to let these things work themselves out because you CANNOT force them. People will not be told what to think”

Agree with this, my kids are early twenties, late teens and they are completely colour blind. I think racism will only gain more traction on the back of serious recession ( a depression) or if the racism becomes weaponised against the wider population and is perceived as being used as leverage.....otherwise it is a gradually receding concept.....
Supersonic

Post by Supersonic »

Exminiman wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:56 pm “Racism is on the way out. The current generation of school kids doesn't really give a shit about skin colour, and the generation after that even less. You need to let these things work themselves out because you CANNOT force them. People will not be told what to think”

Agree with this, my kids are early twenties, late teens and they are completely colour blind. I think racism will only gain more traction on the back of serious recession ( a depression) or if the racism becomes weaponised against the wider population and is perceived as being used as leverage.....otherwise it is a gradually receding concept.....
100% in agreement with what you have said. People like Hamilton are the ones who want mileage out of this for their own gain. Shame on them. The whole thing makes me sad :(

Alan
IslandBlue

Post by IslandBlue »

floormanager wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:56 pm
IslandBlue wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:31 pm To suggest LH was handed everything on a plate is to overstate some good fortune and underplay a significant amount of hard work and talent.
Didn't know you were such a F1 fan :D
Well I don't think you need to follow it under a microscope to conclude that you can't be handed 7 world championships on a plate! :D
Luigi64

Post by Luigi64 »

I’m a little late to the party.

I’ve worked with the guy for 7 years, he is definitely something special. His knowledge of car systems and set up changes etc is incredible.

As a team we’ve worked incredibly hard in many areas outside of the normal ‘engineering’ stuff to get to where we are and operate in the way that we do and personally I honestly think that plays a part in why our car is one of the best ever built and how we’ve managed to keep winning.

Lewis’s antics off track aren’t something I want to comment on. But before anyone asks, I have no idea what’s happening with his contract but I think if he wasn’t going to sign it would have been done by now... I hope!
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

IslandBlue wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:31 pm In the meantime I don't think it's acceptable in a civilised country to simply ignore it and hope it goes away.
That's exactly what I do. I'm not going out of my way to insult anyone and it's not my battle. You only have to read some of the 'interesting' lyrics of current Rap to see that it's a self fulfilling problem. You start using the N word as well as 'bitches' and implying shootings then the battle is already lost. Knife carrying youths from the local shithouse estate are listening to that, not Curtis Mayfield. Hamilton wandering about with his bling gold chains and trying to be Gangsta is both risible and not particularly clever in view of what he is trying to promote.
mk1coopers

Post by mk1coopers »

Luigi64 wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:14 pm I’m a little late to the party.

I’ve worked with the guy for 7 years, he is definitely something special. His knowledge of car systems and set up changes etc is incredible.

As a team we’ve worked incredibly hard in many areas outside of the normal ‘engineering’ stuff to get to where we are and operate in the way that we do and personally I honestly think that plays a part in why our car is one of the best ever built and how we’ve managed to keep winning.

Lewis’s antics off track aren’t something I want to comment on. But before anyone asks, I have no idea what’s happening with his contract but I think if he wasn’t going to sign it would have been done by now... I hope!
I wish there were more companies out there that would follow your way of working, I should imagine it's largely based upon the attitudes of the people who you work with from the top to the bottom, from the outside it seems as if it's all about learning from mistakes (without a blame culture), constantly improving systems and having a very positive attitude no matter what is happening / has happened, I'm looking forward to 8 out of 8 this year, if the others want to catch you they need to work harder :D (though I will spare a thought for Red Bull as we know the Horners have some Mini's that used to belong to quite a popular band :lol: )