Hamilton & Mercedes Situation

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
Pete

Re: Hamilton & Mercedes Situation

Post by Pete »

About 15 years ago Oz, did a bit for Lee Scratch Perry too! Yes love Toots. :P
Bart Smith

Post by Bart Smith »

I have so much love for Toots and the Maytals.
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

Steel Pulse were another epic band in the day, often the warm up act for The Wailers in the later 70's. Handsworth Revolution is a superb album.

Not as good overall as 'Songs in the key of life' or 'what's going on?' but very little is.
Pete

Post by Pete »

I first saw Steel Pulse play with Buzzcocks in 1978, one of the first Rock Against Racism gigs. Well this thread’s gone abit off topic! :lol: , safe to say racism’s talked about more now than it ever was back when it was certainly rampant. Ironically I rarely ever hear or see it now, I’ve literally never seen it at football matches in the last 30 years, yet its something we’re told is everywhere. I’m sure it still exists but you can only go off what you see not what the media tells you to see.
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

**snip** (self editing)

Second thoughts - that was far too ranty and a hell of a tangent to Pete's tangent...... :lol:
Pete

Post by Pete »

Was it a reggae tangent, that’s where we’re up to! :lol:
Mini Mad Swede

Post by Mini Mad Swede »

Who cares what he's paid (many it seems) at least its motorsport!
Its not like he'll be paid that much for all his life

Fotball on the other hand 😤
Those who's interested in that and go bezerk when their team looses, idiots!
Surely they should have worked out that there is a 50% chance their team WILL LOSE!
Yet they're so dissapointed when it happens..

Also, have never seen that there ever has been needed hundreds of policemen (and policewomen?) when there is a motorsportevent.
Like there is almost every bloody footy match.

Rant over.
IslandBlue

Post by IslandBlue »

mk1 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:50 am It always amazes me & to some extent pisses me off the reaction that Hamilton provokes. He's currently by far the most successful driver in F1 & is now statistically the best driver of all time, when interviewed he is usually amiable, polite, thoughtful & gives a lot of his considerable fortune away to causes he is involved in. What's so wrong with that?

Why shouldn't someone in his position negotiate the highest possible salary that he can manage, it is what every other driver, or for that matter person does. The truth is that he is well aware that he needs Mercedes more than they need him. The other thing to take into account is that all this talk of contract negotiations makes great publicity for both parties!!!! It keeps lots of people talking about the "boring" sport of F1 while there are no races being run.

Personally, I reckon that a lot of the negative comments he receives are simply because he is a bit black & a lot of old farts from the demographic that I am firmly part of hate to see a young man of his background earning millions of pounds, living an international jet set life style & generally living it up!

If people find Mr H so offensive & F1 so unbelievably boring, why does the subject crop up here so bloody often!
Have to say I broadly agree with this summation.

I find Lewis rather unexciting and pretty inoffensive as a person, he's not naturally charismatic I would say, (he's no James Hunt that's for sure) and speaking in public probably does not come easily. As for BLM I can understand why Lewis feels the need to use his position to publicise it, much as it becomes a bit tiring to witness. To suggest that racism is largely a thing of the past shows a lack of awareness, although that is all too easy for those of us not on the receiving end. Mind you these days if you were crossed off an interview list for being "male, pale and stale" you might begin to understand how it feels...

I don't think F1 is racist as such but I have the impression that many of the drivers have benefitted from family backing in terms of motorsport experience, money or both which tends to favour those with paler skin. Karun Chandhok it turns out is the son of a multiple Indian rallying champion and president of the Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India since 2003. Force India was an Indian registered-team "formerly owned by a friend of the family" so he had a bit of a leg up there by the sound of it. But if you have a means of getting ahead who wouldn't use it? (Especially a racing driver!)

I'm not a fan of the Knighthood but that's because I don't believe any sports personality should receive such an honour until they retire and they have additionally achieved something beyond a sporting career with personal fame and fortune.
Minisprinter

Post by Minisprinter »

mk1 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:50 am It always amazes me & to some extent pisses me off the reaction that Hamilton provokes. He's currently by far the most successful driver in F1 & is now statistically the best driver of all time, when interviewed he is usually amiable, polite, thoughtful & gives a lot of his considerable fortune away to causes he is involved in. What's so wrong with that?

Why shouldn't someone in his position negotiate the highest possible salary that he can manage, it is what every other driver, or for that matter person does. The truth is that he is well aware that he needs Mercedes more than they need him. The other thing to take into account is that all this talk of contract negotiations makes great publicity for both parties!!!! It keeps lots of people talking about the "boring" sport of F1 while there are no races being run.

Personally, I reckon that a lot of the negative comments he receives are simply because he is a bit black & a lot of old farts from the demographic that I am firmly part of hate to see a young man of his background earning millions of pounds, living an international jet set life style & generally living it up!

If people find Mr H so offensive & F1 so unbelievably boring, why does the subject crop up here so bloody often!
You my friend are 100% correct, I think we should sit back and watch possibly one of the greatest drivers since the legendary Jim Clark, yes he's in the best car but then all the great drivers tend to be, as for his political views, good on him, he knows he's in a position where millions will listen and perhaps a few will actually take notice, as for the money, who on here or anywhere else wouldn't want the best package they can get, his present and future family will be financially secure. I've never understood the resentment towards him apart from the fact for some strange reason this country prefers a plucky looser, I'll finish with two sayings
The more I practice the luckier I get
Don't tell me how I feel until you walk in my shoes

MS
Pete

Post by Pete »

IslandBlue wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:22 pm I have the impression that many of the drivers have benefitted from family backing in terms of motorsport experience, money or both which tends to favour those with paler skin
So how do we explain the lack of black drivers at the very grass roots ‘affordable’ level of motorsport? Not so easy to do. I agree motorsport is a money sport, as any working class lad or lass will tell you no matter what skin colour they have. The parental influence though I will agree with you about, most of us are here talking about cars largely due to the influence of our parents, and if that hasn’t trickled down through the generations in the black community then you could have a point but many of us here have families that started life in the 60s absolutely piss poor, mine certainly did but we were and still are nuts about cars. I don’t know the answer myself to the question I asked but any notion that competition drivers are held back by skin colour I find a tough one to rationalise.