Hamilton & Mercedes Situation

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
Costafortune

Re: Hamilton & Mercedes Situation

Post by Costafortune »

Andrew1967 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:34 pm Couldnt agree more Irlmin.

Wonder if he'll 'take the knee' to the Queen :roll: :lol: :lol:

I've thought over the last few years that the NY honours has become pretty bloody pathetic with people getting knighthoods and OBE's etc for doing whatever they do or have done for a very short space of time, yet others do not get recognised. That said, I do know that some people refuse it.

If there isn't anything that REALLY deserves recognition, don't do the NYH at all.

OK, gone off on a tangent a little :oops: :lol:
Keith Richards had it right when he was taking the piss out of Jagger's knighthood. 'They're not worth a toss. You need to hang out for the old ermine*'

Hamilton is a very good driver, but is hardly Senna spectacular. He's gone from being quite a decent sort into an absolute ***t.

*Peerage.
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

iain1967s wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:43 pm
swifty wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:19 pmWhat was hamiltons record like against button when they were in the same team , mclaren ... ken
Hamilton dominated at qualifying, and was the higher placed on total points in 2 of the 3 years. Within each year, the total win and podium counts were close, with Hamilton having a slight edge over Button. Button had higher total points over the 3 years. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hami ... n/3219323/
Button, 2011 Canadian GP. One of the classic F1 races where he handed Schumacher and Hamilton their arses on a silver platter.
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

The way to assess any F1 Drivers skill & talent is to see how that Driver race performs in the Wet irrespective of whatever F1 Team Car or even the year they drove in F1 .. Lewis has that Wet Drive Talent we have seen it many times .. irrespective that he aint worth his 2021 asking price .

When the F1 Price Cap comes in a lot of F1 Teams Employees are going to loose their Jobs ( thanks to Ross Brawn & his Employers ).. so Lewis will not be driving in 2022.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

It always amazes me & to some extent pisses me off the reaction that Hamilton provokes. He's currently by far the most successful driver in F1 & is now statistically the best driver of all time, when interviewed he is usually amiable, polite, thoughtful & gives a lot of his considerable fortune away to causes he is involved in. What's so wrong with that?

Why shouldn't someone in his position negotiate the highest possible salary that he can manage, it is what every other driver, or for that matter person does. The truth is that he is well aware that he needs Mercedes more than they need him. The other thing to take into account is that all this talk of contract negotiations makes great publicity for both parties!!!! It keeps lots of people talking about the "boring" sport of F1 while there are no races being run.

Personally, I reckon that a lot of the negative comments he receives are simply because he is a bit black & a lot of old farts from the demographic that I am firmly part of hate to see a young man of his background earning millions of pounds, living an international jet set life style & generally living it up!

If people find Mr H so offensive & F1 so unbelievably boring, why does the subject crop up here so bloody often!
Mark F
General dogsbody.
OzOAP

Post by OzOAP »

mk1 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:50 am Personally, I reckon that a lot of the negative comments he receives are simply because he is a bit black
:o Some of my best friends are black!!
:D
hicklingmick

Post by hicklingmick »

Ive always been a fan of Lewis.

This BLM thing he took too far IMO.

But he he is no different to any top sports star such as Pogba/Neymar etc who just kick a bag of air about each week and also get paid mega bucks who eventually get too big for there boots and go too far.

I also agree with Marks last comment that colour has something to do with the hatred people have against Lewis.
Supersonic

Post by Supersonic »

First and foremost let me say this and make it very clear, Hamilton’s colour has nothing to do with what I think about him as a driver and a person. I did a history degree when I was young and studied the American Civil War in detail. I always thought the North were totally correct to fight that war to end the horrible business of slavery. It took nearly another 100 years after the Civil War to end this type of discrimination which to a smaller degree still affects coloured people in America to this day.

I don’t like Alonso as well because I think he is also a self-seeking egotistic person who thinks its all about him. I hope Alonso gets a good lesson this year on his return to F1. Again like Hamilton, Alonso is a great driver; you can’t take that away from both of them.

Back to the point, Hamilton has had a very easy F1 journey. He has been one of the luckiest drivers in the modern era. Most F1 drivers start from a smaller team and make their way up-to a title winning car, some never get that lucky. Hamilton in 2007 got his first drive in a title-winning car. Next year, he gets extremely lucky and wins the title on the last few corners. In the process, he ends up generating hate from all the Massa and Ferrari fans.

In his recent years, he has again been lucky to be in the Mercedes team, which is in a league of its own. He knows the other teams have a disadvantage, but he still tries to make it look like his driving is getting them all the wins. His attitude in press conferences and off-track is all about him. Compare his interviews to those of Alonso, Vettel or Ricciardo, who even in defeat would still find a way to make a silly joke or showcase sarcasm or humour. Hamilton always gives textbook boring answers and is usually unaware or doesn’t care a jot about other driver’s activities.

This claiming he was poor doesn’t wash with me either; by most people’s standards he was not poor. He also likes to play the patriotism game and win for England (Not Britain I note) yet lives in Monaco and pays no taxes.

His claim of being the first black F1 driver is also inaccurate on multiple levels. Narayan Karthikeyan raced in F1 before him, as did Karun Chandhok. Both these drivers were of black parentage. There were also others before them. Pedro Diniz for example was hardly white. Hamilton has a white mother, so technically he is of mixed race rather than black. It amazes me that Karun Chandhok who commentates for Sky F1 has never pulled Hamilton up on this claim of being the first black F1 driver while he himself was there before him. ;)

Alan
Pete

Post by Pete »

I think Hamilton got most people’s backs up when he acused the motorsport industry of being racist, I don’t think he did himself any favours there! :lol: . And if it’s only F1 that’s racist then it’s only representative of grass roots motorsport across the board which is largely bereft of black drivers. The reasons for that I have no idea but to acuse motorsport of racism is pretty offensive to most and unlikely to find the solution. Maybe if he put his efforts into encouraging black drivers into the sport he’d get more results instead of playing the blame game. I wasn’t that keen on Schumy and he did split opinion back in the day, it’s nothing new and I doubt much to do with skin colour. Just my two penneth. ( oh and I used to DJ for Toots and the Maytals so unlikely to be racist either! :lol: . Not that anyone should need to justify that)
OzOAP

Post by OzOAP »

Pete wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:24 pm oh and I used to DJ for Toots and the Maytals
WOW!! Really!! What 'era'?
Saw them a few times over the years. A sad loss a few months ago.
InnoCooperExport

Post by InnoCooperExport »

I'd say there's little doubt that the Mercedes car is head and shoulders above the others in the field at the moment, and that has helped Sir Lewis greatly to get his titles. But he is by no means a passenger in that car. What people have to understand with Russell's turn in that car is that he is a spectacular driver who has won in every series he's entered. If you hear the way all the other juniors (Leclerc, Norris, Albon) speak about him there's little doubt he is going to be one of the greats. So it's not like they stuck a complete numpty in that car in Bahrain and he somehow still made it up there because the car is so amazingly fast and easy to drive.

What people seem to forget about Lewis is that in his debut season he was almost level, and even ahead, of his teammate Alonso who arguably is another one of the greats. He was a point shy of the title in his first season in F1, only to win it by a single point the next year. The guy is obviously off the charts. As other people in F1 have achieved less in term of statistics and received knighthoods I don't think it's more than fair for Lewis to get one. What people seem to forget is that it's an honour, nothing more. Just recognition for his achievement, no money from the gov't, no seat in the Lords, just a pat on the back and some extra letters on your name. If people want to get upset about something, get upset about the shady gov't contracts given to mates, the peerages given to unelected cronies who get to vote on laws and money for life to do nothing.

But I digress. Personally I'm a big fan of McLaren's, have been for years. I'm happy to see the direction the team is taking under Zak Brown and I have high hopes for the Mercedes engine coming in this year. I'm hoping for a better fight in the top 3 this year but I think we will see a repeat of the HAM BOT VER podiums we've had this year. But fingers crossed that Sainz can take the fight to Leclerc, Vettel will be back on form with Aston Martin. Personally I hope Perez will not outshine Albon's perfomance last year because i really feel like he's been done dirty by RBR.
Of course I know what a dipstick is, you get called something often enough you look it up!