Nice early Maxi

The Home of the Bigger Brothers, BMC 1100s, 1300s, A40s, A35 etc.
Metronick

Nice early Maxi

Post by Metronick »

66Traveller

Re: Nice early Maxi

Post by 66Traveller »

Yes cool. I do like early Maxis - and they are very rare nowadays
Old English White

Post by Old English White »

All Maxis are pretty uncommon now but I wouldn't say that one qualifies as "early". After all, the Maxi had been in full production for two years when that one (a Mk2) was built ;)
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

You wouldn't want an early one though - the gearshift was just abysmal. Maxis arrived in 1969 and BLMC immediately started work on the much improved facelift version that arrived over a year later. Reading contemporary road tests, the 1750 was a much liked car by MOTOR, Autocar etc.

That one looks good and is probably worth the money.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Austin Maxi (ADO14)
"When Donald Stokes took over the ailing company in May 1968, he looked at the Maxi and decided it needed more work to be made a more appealing proposition. That resulted in its second pre-launch facelift. So little could be done by this point, all that was changed was the interior – giving it some semblance of habitability – and some very minor exterior detailing.
So many faults were identified by the new management that Harry Webster’s team would end up having their work cut out trying to make good and mend the Maxi. Top of the list of problems for many was the new car’s appalling cable-operated gearbox (pictured). In the end, the Engineers did much pre-launch tinkering to make the gearbox work, but knew that curing its ills would necessitate a new linkage design."

The Maxi’s famously poor gearchange
"The failing that overshadowed all others was the appalling gear change: of course, the Maxi offered the advantage of a five-speed gearbox, but the badly engineered cable operated shift resulted in a bad gear change. Many testers were left with the uneasy feeling that they never really knew whether it was going actually slot into gear or not. Gear changing should never be stressful – in the Maxi, it was."
Julian Mounter, motoring correspondent of The Times summed up the gear change thus: ‘It feels like stirring treacle with a long thin cane.’

"Nevertheless, these shortcomings aside, the Maxi was an interesting concept with a great deal to recommend it. For a start, it was wonderfully commodious. Like the Issigonis-engineered cars that preceded it, the Maxi was blessed with keen roadholding and tremendous ride quality. However, unlike its older counterparts, the Maxi was also a quiet and long-legged motorway cruiser, thanks to its overdriven top gear. Unlike its principal rival, the Renault 16 , the Maxi’s hatchback arrangement was straightforward in the extreme. It also had the added advantage of being able to fold all the seats down flat."
https://www.aronline.co.uk/cars/austin/maxi/

andy1071

Post by andy1071 »

I'm confused... (that's not unusual... :lol: )
My brother owned an early Maxi, and I'm sure it had the cable gear-change, and my dad had a later rod-change Maxi, and I remember driving both, and the cable-change had a better and smoother change than the rod-change... :shock:
-I suppose they must have made at least one that was OK....? :roll:

-We moved house when I was 10 years old, and down the street, there was a guy that had an Austin 1800 with a tailgate.
-I always presumed it was a proto-type Maxi that he managed to get from BMC. I thought he maybe worked in the Experimental dept, but never found out. ( -maybe it was 'just' a Radford conversion..?).
I thought this, because living across the street from us was Spen King, and maybe they knew each other.

-A bit off-topic, but it was interesting as a young teenager to see various unusual cars coming and going from the King residence...
His wife had a Toledo/Dolomite with a glass tail-gate, looking rather like a Renault 21 (this was early '70s don't forget), I always thought it looked rather nice and well-proportioned.
I remember being most impressed to see a pre-production SD1, with all the disguises on, leaving one morning... (not till a couple of years later was I able to 'identify' it..).
Ernst Blofeld

Post by Ernst Blofeld »

I found this online:

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.124 ... 184_012_02

A late 60s article by Eric Bareham, father of the E-series engine and I think he headed the cell that developed the Maxi. It’s stuck behind a paywall now, but I managed to read it a while back. According to Mr B, the Maxi’s five speed transmission was developed from the A-type (presumably the Mini 4-synchro unit) transmission. He said all that was needed was the design of a new layshaft and laygear.

Somebody posted on an Australian Moke forum that some clever so-and-so spliced the Maxi/Nomad/Morris 1500 laygear to the Mini mainshaft in the little car’s gear casing, and – voila! – a five-speed Mini. Which begs the question why didn’t anyone else do it, why didn’t BLMC?

https://www.mokeforum.com.au/index.php?topic=9149.0

I think it was also mentioned on this forum, but I am beggared if I can find the post now.
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

The Maxi and 2200 used the same transmission system as the Mini and 1100. i.e the clutch and flywheel was the 'wrong' way around.

The 1800/Princess used an inline crank with a standard B series type flywheel and then the primary gear - in effect the flywheel is behind the drop gears and not in front like the Mini/1100/Maxi.