Marina TC

The Home of the Bigger Brothers, BMC 1100s, 1300s, A40s, A35 etc.
Metronick

Marina TC

Post by Metronick »

spoon.450

Re: Marina TC

Post by spoon.450 »

There’s a reason some cars are rare.. :lol: :lol: ...but that looks a nice example of the top of the range. Wasn’t there some BL Works rally Marinas...with the likes of Brian Culcheth getting some reasonable results ??
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

One reason they are rare is the Body in White Marina Shell had rust already growing inside the Sills .. the reason because the Factory,s A Building Roof Guttering Leaked Rainwater onto the stillages of body parts @ Pressed Steel Cowley .. how do i know that ;)
Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Special Tuning put the Rover V8 into one, I think, and it was apparently rather good!

I had an Orange '77 1300 'faux TC' (a Deluxe someone had fitted a TC grille to :lol: ) and I have to say, it wasn't that bad, and I quite liked it. I never had anything other than positive comments from folk when I was out in it, folk seemed really nostalgic about them.

Yes, it drove like a Morris Minor, because that's what they were underneath, but it was just a laugh and the saloon had a MASSIVE boot, so ideal for kids buggies that was our main concern at the time. from memory it was about £250 well spent, I'd say! (In the end I swapped it with my Wife's driving instructor for 10 lessons, so I think that classes as a profit! :lol: )

Al
Metronick

Post by Metronick »

spoon.450 wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:30 pm There’s a reason some cars are rare.. :lol: :lol: ...but that looks a nice example of the top of the range. Wasn’t there some BL Works rally Marinas...with the likes of Brian Culcheth getting some reasonable results ??
I think you’re right Dave.
In Brian’s book ( a great read by the way) he talks about his time in works Marinas. The early ones apparently ran high spec 1300 units with Amal carburettors but drum brakes all round as disks weren’t homologated !
Here’s the car...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
850man

Post by 850man »

We never had the A series powered Marina here in Australia, we got the 1500 and 1750 E series engines.
So, our Marina TC had a twin carb 1750, a Triumph 4 speed, alloy wheels and a Tacho.

I had a 4 door sedan that I built a 1750 for it, the usual ported head, mild cam, balanced, etc with twin carbs and a larger exhaust.
Surprisingly, it went very well.
Tds76

Post by Tds76 »

A mate has this Leyland Marina with a 1.8 E and twins, next to my K.
C6D9E11B-BC0E-40CD-BAA1-2737B0ACB2EF.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1970 Morris Mini K1100 (Australian 1098)
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Back in 1974 I had a job delivering cars and as a youngster recently passed my test I was quite impressed with the straight line speed of an almost new Marina 1.8TC, at least when compared to my own much modified 850 Mini. However at the first fast corner it scared me silly and nearly ended up on its roof and that is when I realised BL had stuck an MGB engine in a Morris Minor with a more modern body but had not bothered upgrading the suspension to suit the 'cosmetic' sporting image! :lol:
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

Not one of BL's finest moments!

Proof that any old shit becomes 'collectable' or 'classic' when it's actually 'old crap'. :lol:
Riley 1.5

Post by Riley 1.5 »

Fitting an early Marina with the suspension of a late model solves a lot of cornering problems. Just adding the stabilizer bars makes a lot of difference. And there's even the late Ital that uses conventional shock absorbers in the front: that one corners very good.