Superb Landcrab....

The Home of the Bigger Brothers, BMC 1100s, 1300s, A40s, A35 etc.
Metronick

Superb Landcrab....

Post by Metronick »

They don’t get much more original than this, lovely piece of kit......

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1298084

Nick :)
JohnA
Location: Up north where men are men and sheep are frightened

Re: Superb Landcrab....

Post by JohnA »

I love that, worked on them when they were new
Happy days
Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

That looks fantastic, the Mk2 being the best of the 'Crabs IMO, apart from the cable gear change .

Limeflower green, same colour as Dads '72 Wolseley 18/85 8-)
Supersonic

Post by Supersonic »

Andrew1967 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:49 am That looks fantastic, the Mk2 being the best of the 'Crabs IMO, apart from the cable gear change .

Andrew,

That is a lovely car no question about it. I too prefer Mk2 1100 / 1300 / 1800 cars. I sold a 1972 Limeflower Austin 1300 the week before Christmas :D :D :D :D

Happy birthday by the way

Alan
Andrew1967

Post by Andrew1967 »

Supersonic wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:17 pm
Andrew1967 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:49 am That looks fantastic, the Mk2 being the best of the 'Crabs IMO, apart from the cable gear change .

Andrew,

That is a lovely car no question about it. I too prefer Mk2 1100 / 1300 / 1800 cars. I sold a 1972 Limeflower Austin 1300 the week before Christmas :D :D :D :D

Happy birthday by the way

Alan
Thanks Alan :D
JohnA
Location: Up north where men are men and sheep are frightened

Post by JohnA »

I think the mk1 rear end looked better than the fins on the Mk 2
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

What a bloody awful thing they were/are to drive though. Gutless, incredibly heavy and low geared steering, vague gearshift and the front seats are pretty poor. The S spec Wolseley 18/85 with PAS put a lot of it right but in the sixties the 1800 sold badly for a reason. Women in particular hated them.
Unless you really needed the room, the Cortina, Hunter etc were far better cars.
Andrew1967

Post by Andrew1967 »

I think the finned 1800's are nicer, the one thing I dislike about Dad's 18/85 are the 'cow hip' rear wings. Personal preference of course :)

Agree that they needed PAS but at low engine speeds because the pump is on the back of the dynamo, it's not that effective when really necessary. The MK3 rod change boxes were far more precise than the cable change.

Probably the worst thing is the carbon thrust clutch release .. take it out of gear and foot off the clutch when at lights etc or burn the thrust out in a few thousand miles, then its more or less an engine out job to replace it.

Seats in the 18/85 are lovely and comfortable.

Wished it was an 18/85 S though ... Dad doesn't - too heavy on fuel :lol:

If anyone knows of a perfect or NOS fuel tank for a Landcrab - let me know please.
850man

Post by 850man »

I look after a few 1800's, including a Supercharged one with an alloy head and efi.
They have survived remarkably well here in Australia, and are usually in pretty good condition.
I also service a couple of Morris 1500's and a Nomad, with a 1275 Auto that we rebuilt to 1380 big valve head, sw5 cam etc. Thats an awesome original car too.
Old English White

Post by Old English White »

I've got to stick up for the 1800. I'll admit to a little bias as I worked for a BMC/BL dealership and we thought that their products were the best but I did drive a lot of other cars as well. The 1800 was a firm favorite with me and many colleagues and we sold a lot of them. I had 4 of them altogether including one 1800"S" with the twin carbs and larger brakes. It had quite a high compression ratio and 5star fuel was recommended :shock:. I covered a big mileage in them and towed caravans and car recovery trailers all over the country. You have to remember that they came in to replace the (awful to drive) Farina Cambridge/Oxford and were streets ahead of them in every respect. I never thought the steering was heavy at the time (though I'm sure I would now that we're all used to power assistance) and I found the seats very comfortable. You soon got used to the gearchange and the 1800 engine had sufficient power. The Cortina, in my opinion, seemed cheap and nasty by comparison. Not as good a car as the Hunter although it sold better. The 1800 handled well and once you were used to the size, could be hustled along twisty roads at a good pace. A very strong and reliable car with reasonable (for the period) fuel economy. The Mk2 was my favorite and had good build quality. I had one Mk3 and it wasn't nearly as well finished off - and the Princess which replaced it was a shoddy thing :oops:

I would love one in my dream garage to take out occasionally and you wouldn't find a better one than that example but I couldn't bring myself to part with that money for a car I'd hardly use......