Is the second Bangernomics era upon us?

The Home of the Bigger Brothers, BMC 1100s, 1300s, A40s, A35 etc.
mab01uk

Is the second Bangernomics era upon us?

Post by mab01uk »

"Do you remember about five years ago when Big Ben rang in 2015, and beyond the New Year euphoria, we were all worried about the impending financial uncertainties for the economy ahead? There were bleak forecasts for jobs, trade and retail performance, and for many it felt like we could be about to enter a period of belt tightening like we did following the 2008 global banking crisis. It wasn’t a definite outcome for what was about to happen – some thought we’d do very well, but there was at least some uncertainty about the times ahead.
Then Coronavirus (COVID-19) happened, and along with it, the last scintilla of doubt that we were in for some serious economic headwinds once the worst of the pandemic had passed. With governments across the globe spending trillions in order to keep systems working, while industry and commerce shut down, the threat of mass unemployment is beginning to look like a reality. Add to that a serious mistrust of the public transport system as long as this pandemic is with us, and you can already see why used car sales are rising – and why demand for sub-£1000 motors is also on the up."
AROnline:-
https://www.aronline.co.uk/opinion/is-t ... a-upon-us/
Polarsilver

Re: Is the second Bangernomics era upon us?

Post by Polarsilver »

Why not ..i purchased a 1st Car for my Grandson 3 years ago .. today this Seat Arosa is 15 years old & the Bodyshell remains Rust Free with120k on the Clock. i drove it for 50 miles yesterday & its a fun car to drive .. its what Leyland should have produced ;)
Beatie

Post by Beatie »

Can only echo that as we acquired a 2002 Suzuki swift for my son to cut his teeth in , 1000cc of 3 cylinder fury :lol: which currently bombs back and forth to work 6 days a week not missing a beat with 22miles each way .
Not a sign of rust on it too , not bad for £400 .
However with the indicators on the right hand side of column so he does get in a pickle after he has a proper lesson in a A1 :lol: :lol:
Great purchase
Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

As job losses mount, there could be a lot of folk getting out of their PCP deals.

Sub £2000 cars are okay as long as you avoid German shite, Vauxhalls and the like. Honda, Toyota, Suzuki and some Ford stuff (08 on Fiesta) is the best bet.
IslandBlue

Post by IslandBlue »

Beatie wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:39 am However with the indicators on the right hand side of column so he does get in a pickle after he has a proper lesson in a A1 :lol: :lol:
The correct side, does my head in why this was allowed to change to suit foreign manufacturers. I now have a '69 Mini with them on the right and an '89 Mini and '17 MINI with them on the wrong side so am in an almost permanent state of confusion! :shock:
ads7

Post by ads7 »

Bangernomics has made sense for me throughout my 35 years of car ownership, good fun to get the most out of a car on a budget, however much money you have on hand to plough into cars.

When I had a brief interlude of running a shiny new company car I really didn't place much value on the experience, just another anonymous motor on the road.

Minis and Fiat x1/9s provided the best fun over the years and these days I run an 86 Mini and a 93 mr2. The Mr2 was bagged for £500 with 55k on the clock seven years ago and has never let me down. Best car I ever bought.

I can afford a pcp to run a flashy new model like the ones the majority of my friends pose around in but frankly don't care about projecting a certain image.

With serious climate and financial issues prevelant Nissan Micras and their ilk are great little cars that make sense with high mpg, dependability and miniscule overall running costs.

Why not?
miniminor

Post by miniminor »

Keep looking at Rover 75s and would really like to buy one as a future classic, don't actually need one though.....
"Get the wheels in line, Get the wheels in line with it! ..... and then slam your brakes on or we'll be in the cabin ! "

1963 Morris Mini Minor Superdeluxe
2014 Freelander 2 SD4
gs.davies

Post by gs.davies »

I’ve had a lot of fun and largely trouble free motoring in two high mileage Golf V5’s. Wonderful bullet proof engines, silky smooth power delivery and a relatively soft ride. Cheap as chips to buy and if driven right, not horrific on fuel either.

I suspect my days of running those addictive five pots are not done yet.
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

With a 2002 Ka that cost £500 and latterly £220 to weld up I am happy as it has given me over 30K miles since it was bought. We got a 2009 (£875) Ka Sport thinking we would have to replace it, but it kept going so we how have two. That has nearly done 20K or the family now and has only needed one injector. It drives wonderfully as well with a great feel around the corners.

I regret giving my son our Clio 172 as that is rust free body wise and goes like a rocket.

As for my Aston, its warm in the garage ;-)