Unsung heroes : MG Metro

The Home of the Bigger Brothers, BMC 1100s, 1300s, A40s, A35 etc.
mab01uk

Unsung heroes : MG Metro

Post by mab01uk »

floormanager

Re: Unsung heroes : MG Metro

Post by floormanager »

Loved my MK1Turbo. Spent many an hour rebuilding the gearbox!!
Metro (2).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

We had a black MG Metro - I used to deliver groceries in it for my dad's shop. Used to enjoy the drive back once emptied ;-)

Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

I rebuilt an A plate MG for my other half ... bought one that had been involved in an accident, soon turned out worse than I thought.

Ended up buying a shell from a local scrapyard and re-shelled it.

Was a nice car.

Time Bandit

Post by Time Bandit »

I had an old MG Metro back in the early '90s, it was a bit of a rough old thing around the edges but I quite liked it, pretty luxurious compared to the Mini I had before it. Alas it met it's maker in an unusual way, was parked in the car park at the local pub where I tended to park my cars at the time when a bloody great sandstone wall fell on it on a windy night. The poor old MG was transformed into a pancake, totally wrecked, only thing I salvaged off it was the steering wheel, which I still have, rest was weighed in for scrap.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike

850man

Post by 850man »

There are a few Metros here in Aus. We had one as a parts run around car for the business I worked for in the 90s. Its sitting in a shed now waiting to be brought back to life. Quite an enjoyable car to drive. I had to convert a manual to Automatic a few years ago, and then rebuild it after it ran up the arse of something much bigger. we were able to buy all the parts quite easily & cheaply.
We also imported hundreds of A+1275 engines in the 90s/2000s from the UK, when you could buy them for 40 quid ea from the scrap metal yards.
MG Metro 1275s are great with the big valve head & factory cam profile, BL did a great job of breathing life back into the 1275. And the little 998s are a smooth little unit too. I am currently building an 1128 gearbox for a NOS 998 I have here to fit into a Pickup we are restoring.

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Can't say I have any great memories of the Metro apart from the fact I took my driving test in one. . . both times :lol:
Mark F
General dogsbody.

UHR850

Post by UHR850 »

:D MG Metro engine is great, I've got one in my 1974 Mini mk3.

Kees
DOWNTON Mini is what I like a lot.
Collecting 60th wooden steeringwheels.

iain1967s

Post by iain1967s »

I had an MG Metro as my second car (first was a Mini, naturally).

Worst car I've ever owned in terms of rust and reliability, but it was really quite fast in its day
- at least, compared to the family hand-me-down Chevette, Capri 1.3 etc. that my friends had.

Photos below of how it looked when I bought it, and also how it looked most of the time I owned it...

floormanager

Post by floormanager »

I had the engine out of my turbo three times too! Liked the grill being removed made lifting the engine easier. Want one again :mrgreen: used to be able to redline it in 4th. Oh the misfortune of youth!