Mk1 Austin 1100 brake upgrade?

The Home of the Bigger Brothers, BMC 1100s, 1300s, A40s, A35 etc.
Costafortune

Re: Mk1 Austin 1100 brake upgrade?

Post by Costafortune »

With the engine out and some mods being done, I'd fit a taller final drive as the 1100 is pretty undergeared with the standard 4.1. The 3.7 from an 850 Mini will do it but you'll need to recalibrate the speedo or fit one from a 1300.

On the brakes, a servo makes a huge difference. A new Midget one is reckoned to be about right unless you can find a NOS 1300 one.

Muhib

Post by Muhib »

111Robin wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:31 pm
Good to see another ado16 getting some attention. I would definitely replace the timing chain, a duplex setup would be a sensible upgrade. Remember these are unassisted 50+ year old brakes, they're never going to be brilliant. I have a mk1 also, still on it's original discs, and they're perfectly adequate, just drive it accordingly. There was never any difference in the braking systems between the standard cars and the MG/Riley or Wolseley twin carb cars so the original setup with good disc surfaces and new pads should be fine. The regulating valve is only to stop the rears locking up as they have less mass acting on them, it has no effect on the front braking efficiency. I would also replace the brake hoses if you haven't already incase they've collapsed and are restricting pressure on the front.
Would the original timing cover fit over the duplex setup? I think I read somewhere that some modification may be required and something about countersinking screws.

I will definitely be replacing the hoses during the overhaul.
Rust never sleeps

111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Muhib wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:14 pm
111Robin wrote:
Good to see another ado16 getting some attention. I would definitely replace the timing chain, a duplex setup would be a sensible upgrade. Remember these are unassisted 50+ year old brakes, they're never going to be brilliant. I have a mk1 also, still on it's original discs, and they're perfectly adequate, just drive it accordingly. There was never any difference in the braking systems between the standard cars and the MG/Riley or Wolseley twin carb cars so the original setup with good disc surfaces and new pads should be fine. The regulating valve is only to stop the rears locking up as they have less mass acting on them, it has no effect on the front braking efficiency. I would also replace the brake hoses if you haven't already incase they've collapsed and are restricting pressure on the front.
Would the original timing cover fit over the duplex setup? I think I read somewhere that some modification may be required and something about countersinking screws.

The original cover still fits, you just need to countersink the holes on the backing plate to accept countersunk screws for extra clearance. Look on the Minispares site and you'll see the duplex kit is supplied with the screws.

Muhib

Post by Muhib »

Costafortune wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:29 pm
With the engine out and some mods being done, I'd fit a taller final drive as the 1100 is pretty undergeared with the standard 4.1. The 3.7 from an 850 Mini will do it but you'll need to recalibrate the speedo or fit one from a 1300.

On the brakes, a servo makes a huge difference. A new Midget one is reckoned to be about right unless you can find a NOS 1300 one.
Good call! I do plan to occasionally use it on the motorway but mostly in the city. Do you know roughly what this will bring the top speed up to and the effect on low end torque?
Rust never sleeps

Muhib

Post by Muhib »

111Robin wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:15 pm
Muhib wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:14 pm
111Robin wrote:

The original cover still fits, you just need to countersink the holes on the backing plate to accept countersunk screws for extra clearance. Look on the Minispares site and you'll see the duplex kit is supplied with the screws.
Cheers! That’s another thing added to my minispares basket.
Rust never sleeps

Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

Muhib wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:35 pm
Costafortune wrote:

Good call! I do plan to occasionally use it on the motorway but mostly in the city. Do you know roughly what this will bring the top speed up to and the effect on low end torque?
No, but it will buzz along at 70-80 much better. 2nd gear will be a lot more useful as well.

LuisM

Post by LuisM »

On the subject of ADO16 brakes,
i've heard mini 8.4 disc brakes can be used on the MK2 ADO16's with the sliding calipers , can anyone confirm this ?

Thanks
Luis

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

No they can't. You have to buy the correct disk.

https://www.angclassiccarparts.co.uk/pr ... i-iii-6774
Mark F
General dogsbody.

Muhib

Post by Muhib »

Costafortune wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:17 pm
Muhib wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:35 pm
Costafortune wrote:

No, but it will buzz along at 70-80 much better. 2nd gear will be a lot more useful as well.
I’ll see how it goes without the servo for now. Found a used 3.7 crown wheel and pinion for £45.
Last edited by Muhib on Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rust never sleeps

Muhib

Post by Muhib »

I have to say, all the work I’ve carried out on this car so far has been a piece of cake. Removed the callipers today. Expecting the bolts to be seized but alas, they came off without a fight. Didn’t even have to bring out the plus gas.

Although, I just about sh*t myself when I came face to face with this. :shock:

Can you see it?

The O/S hose was rubbing against the subframe. I’m glad I stopped driving it when I did.
Rust never sleeps