Mk1 Austin 1100 brake upgrade?

The Home of the Bigger Brothers, BMC 1100s, 1300s, A40s, A35 etc.
Muhib

Mk1 Austin 1100 brake upgrade?

Post by Muhib »

Hi guys, hope you're all keeping well. I thought I’d share 'Rustin' with you who is also my first car. I bought it a couple of years ago as a “light, running restoration”. Pretty much everything needed/needs replacing or servicing as it had been dry stored for ~15 years. Drove it for about a year, had the exhaust fall off which made for an interesting noise and then the small oil leak gradually got worse. Had enough of buying a 5 litre tin of oil every 2 months so have decided to pull the engine for a rebuild while going over all the mechanicals. I miss driving it and can't wait to get it back on the road!

I have completely stripped the engine and the block is currently at the machine shop for a 40 thou overbore. Managed to find a 12G295 head and twin HS2 carbs taken from an MG 1100 and have restored them ready to be installed.

I was wondering if I should (if possible) upgrade the front brakes to the later system, while I have the old lines removed to be replaced with kunifer. Am I being silly? Would the original brakes be enough to handle this small increase in power?

Image Image
Last edited by Muhib on Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rust never sleeps

mk1
Site Admin

Re: Mk1 Austin 1100 brake upgrade?

Post by mk1 »

Hi Muhib,

Your 1100 looks like a cracker.

I feel sure that you will be pleased with your engine mods when all is back together again.

As I understand it, there is very little performance improvement from MK1 to mk2 disks. I believe the changes were only made to save money. The MG 1100 was fitted with MK1 brakes, I reckon you can save your money.

Make sure your existing system works as it should & I can't see there being any point in swapping to the weird lever calliper system.
Mark F
General dogsbody.

Muhib

Post by Muhib »

mk1 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:40 pm
Hi Muhib,

Your 1100 looks like a cracker.

I feel sure that you will be pleased with your engine mods when all is back together again.

As I understand it, there is very little performance improvement from MK1 to mk2 disks. I believe the changes were only made to save money. The MG 1100 was fitted with MK1 brakes, I reckon you can save your money.

Make sure your existing system works as it should & I can't see there being any point in swapping to the weird lever calliper system.
Thank you for the kind words and vote of confidence. If that’s the case I will definitely be rebuilding/servicing the original components, with plenty of updates to follow as I go along. Cheers!
Rust never sleeps

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I look forward to reading more.

My MK2 1300 does have the MK2 brakes which I serviced earlier this year.

A nice easy job with a superb impact on the driving experience.
Mark F
General dogsbody.

Glacier white

Post by Glacier white »

I agree with Mark. There is no need to change to the later system, just make sure that everything works as it should.
One more advantage of the twin piston system is that it was common with spridgets (correct me if i am wrong) so parts availability and pad material choice is significantly better compared with the later system.

111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Glacier white wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:01 pm
I agree with Mark. There is no need to change to the later system, just make sure that everything works as it should.
One more advantage of the twin piston system is that it was common with spridgets (correct me if i am wrong) so parts availability and pad material choice is significantly better compared with the later system.
That's correct, same caliper and pads as the Midget/Sprite and are available new from many suppliers so makes more sense to retain the original system. I'm not sure about the discs though, they might be unique to the ADO16.

Muhib

Post by Muhib »

Thanks guys. That’s really handy to know. Will definitely be sticking with the originals then.

I hope my results will be the same as yours Mark after going over them. The braking performance was pretty shoddy when I had it on the road. Always left a considerable gap between the car in front as a precaution.

Are the wheels supposed to lock up under hard braking applications? I could never get them to do so when testing them on an empty road. I understand these cars are fitted are fitted with a pressure regulating valve (between the front and rear brakes) but the manual states “all additional pressure is transferred to the front wheels” so I expected the fronts to lock up at least.

I managed to find a pair of NOS brakes on eBay last year. The discs measure 203mm diameter & and the central hole 55.25mm. Kinda difficult to make out but the reference number on them looks to be Mowog BTA368.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rust never sleeps

Muhib

Post by Muhib »

Here's a couple of pictures of the things I've done so far:

This is the condition it was in when delivered to me. Engine ran but wouldn't hold water. After a fresh set of hoses and servicing the carb she was good to go (for a while). I didn't take pictures of this and usually forget to once I get into it. This will common theme throughout this post but will promise to change that for any current work I start from now.
work.jpg
Wasn't a big fan of the silver wheels so spray painted them in black, replaced all the hubcaps with red lettering and polished the paint by hand to bring back some of the shine. Finishing it off with some decal work and a replacement badge.
wheel__1601057649_188.220.109.203.jpg
pTWK9YH__1601058039_188.220.109.203.jpg
0kUqt5q__1601058273_188.220.109.203.jpg
Image Image

Replaced the candle lights for these Lucas PL reproes with all weather H4 bulbs for that yellow glow. Huge difference now that I can see at night. Image

I then began work on the interior. The seats were in pretty good nick and looked tidy after a good clean. Unfortunately, the same couldn't be said about the rubber/vinyl carpet. It was mouldy, torn in some areas and gave off a hideous stench. Ripped them out for new black carpet, wasn't a huge fan of the grey anyway. Though, before installing them I wire-brushed the floor-pan to get rid of residual adhesive and surface rust (no holes which was a welcome surprise) then applied a layer of POR15. Also test fitted a Moto-Lita wheel but it sits a little too far for my liking, may look for a dished one. The original has been put back on for now.
J7niljC__1601059360_188.220.109.203.jpg
Image Image Image Image Treated myself to matching Bluetooth speaker as there's no stereo. At least I've got a heater! Image

I ran it like that for about a year and was fed up of the oil leak which had gotten pretty bad. I pulled the the engine with the help of my brother and stripped engine. Didn't take many pictures here as I was covered in oil! The bores were badly scored so have sent it to get bored out. As there were no other issues (mechanically) with how it drove, I think I will only be replacing the clutch, oil pump and all the seals, gaskets. Is there any upgrades I should consider while I have everything apart? Not sure if I should replace the timing chain as there is only a slight bit of play. The clock shows just under 50,000 miles if that helps.

Image It's a wonder as to how the clutch was even functioning in this state. Image

Miscellaneous bits:

Lucas DR3A wiper motor and bracket restored. Image

Distributor cleaned, replaced the points for electronic ignition using the Accuspark kit and NOS Champion HT leads. Image Image Image Image

Lucas 9H horns cleaned up and painted Image Image

Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image

I picked up this Johnson's first aid kit which is from the same year as the car (1964). Image Image Image

And to end with something a little off topic. Here's some interior detail work I did to this Corgi Vanguard's Austin 1300 to match the interior of mine but without the grey as a small quarantine project.

Image Disassembled and interior removed. Image Some nice detail on this one. Let’s improve on that. Image Painted and hair building fibres (finer than your standard flocking powder) used to create a carpet effect by sprinkling on top wet paint. Seats were painted first and allowed to dry beforehand. Gently blew away the excess once everything was dry and cleaned seats/door cards with a damp cotton swab. Image Used Tamiya TS-71 to darken the seats slightly, add some texture and seal the fibres in place. Otherwise you end up getting fibres stuck to the glass from the inside due to static electricity which looks a mess. Image Image Image Difficult to get pictures of the interior with an iPhone but it looks a whole lot better than the all blue. Image Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rust never sleeps

111Robin

Post by 111Robin »

Good to see another ado16 getting some attention. I would definitely replace the timing chain, a duplex setup would be a sensible upgrade. Remember these are unassisted 50+ year old brakes, they're never going to be brilliant. I have a mk1 also, still on it's original discs, and they're perfectly adequate, just drive it accordingly. There was never any difference in the braking systems between the standard cars and the MG/Riley or Wolseley twin carb cars so the original setup with good disc surfaces and new pads should be fine. The regulating valve is only to stop the rears locking up as they have less mass acting on them, it has no effect on the front braking efficiency. I would also replace the brake hoses if you haven't already incase they've collapsed and are restricting pressure on the front.

jay weinstein

Post by jay weinstein »

Nice car you have ......It's nice to start out with a car that's not a piece of crap !