New Defender?????

The Home of the Bigger Brothers, BMC 1100s, 1300s, A40s, A35 etc.
Nick W

New Defender?????

Post by Nick W »

Haha....not that new SUV Chelsea tractor pretender. :roll: ..but the new Ineos Grenadier...Jaguar Landover decided to egnore the Defender enthusiast's and pamper to the Evoque/Discovery/Ranger over buyers..but I recon they will regret this , when they see the Grenadier selling to all the fleet 4x4 customers :?

https://youtu.be/yZVYpdoqFow

Polarsilver

Re: New Defender?????

Post by Polarsilver »

Yes good that a Brit is continuing the tradition of improving what is otherwise thrown away.. he is also big in supporting the Hi-Tec Sports such as America Cup Sailing & Merc F1 etc ... I think there will be more to come :)

surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

They've also just purchased a major chunk of the BP petrochemical business.

It's about time some manufaturers realised that some just want a vehicle to get from a to b, not some fancy blinged up ugly concoction filled with unwanted extras
I drive a Rolls Royce
'cause it`s good for my voice

Catmint

Post by Catmint »

Some interesting bits on youtube about the development - hopefully it will be as good as they claim since they have gone back to the drawing board without a preconcieved manufactures image

Nick W

Post by Nick W »

Catmint wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:09 pm
Some interesting bits on youtube about the development - hopefully it will be as good as they claim since they have gone back to the drawing board without a preconcieved manufactures image
So it looks like a Defender cause that's where the The engineering takes you :roll: :lol:

Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

surfblue63 wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:37 pm
It's about time some manufaturers realised that some just want a vehicle to get from a to b, not some fancy blinged up ugly concoction filled with unwanted extras
Totally agree Stu, there too much bullshit on vehicles nowadays. These things are OK for a few years but once over 5 years old you are in the lap of the gods as to whether things go wrong and how much they cost to fix.

So many bullshit gadgets are linked to necessary components so you have to fix it, even if you could actually live without it.

Hang on though ... the cynics amongst us would say that that is what the manufacturers want ... hit owners with a 4 figure bill to fix something that isn't necessary so you scrap it and buy another car :roll:

God help people with older Hybrids and electric vehicles in years to come.

roymck

Post by roymck »

It looks good but can they build it , is the Defender shape not copyrighted ?
8662 FN Austin Mini

I know its not original I like it this way

My wife says I don’t listen to her or something like that !

Catmint

Post by Catmint »

Nick W wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:24 pm
Catmint wrote:
So it looks like a Defender cause that's where the The engineering takes you :roll: :lol:
Was more thinking of the engineering and reliabilty side of things rather than what it looks like - G Wagon, Jeep, Humvee, hilux etc all end up looking similar at the end of the day, and they all originate from a Willis jeep design

Nick W

Post by Nick W »

Catmint wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:41 pm
Nick W wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:24 pm
Catmint wrote:
Was more thinking of the engineering and reliabilty side of things rather than what it looks like - G Wagon, Jeep, Humvee, hilux etc all end up looking similar at the end of the day, and they all originate from a Willis jeep design
Landrovers court case to patent the Defender Silhouette was dismissed as so many look like it already..

Tupers

Post by Tupers »

It’ll be interest to see what their market is once the actually start selling vehicles. A lot of the utilities maintenance trucks seem to have gone from Defenders into Hilux and Ranger style pickups now. I cant imagine the advantage of a more traditional 4x4 being outweighed by what’s bound to be a smaller parts and maintenance network. There are plenty of Defenders for the heavy duty off-road people and that sort of leaves posers and the Chelsea tractor crowd.

To be honest the people lamenting the demise of the Defender reminded of “enthusiasts” demanding manual sports cars but never going in the show rooms and buying them.