Now that's a turn up for the books!

The Home of the Bigger Brothers, BMC 1100s, 1300s, A40s, A35 etc.
mk1
Site Admin

Re: Now that's a turn up for the books!

Post by mk1 »

RAC-36.jpg
Women competitors start from Great West Road in RAC rally. 76 of 318 entrants in
Women competitors start from Great West Road in RAC rally. 76 of 318 entrants in the Royal Automobile Club rally started from the Ace of Spades garage on the Great West Road. The finishing point of the rally is Torquay. All cars have to cover about 1000 miles at a fixed average speed of 24 miles an hour of arriving at Torquay on Thursday. There are eight other starting places besides London.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark F
I'm a rather fat feathery Owl called sage.

surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

The Ace of Spades on the Great West road was an early version of a service station. The was another in Surbiton which was very similar.

Here's an aerial view of the Great Western Ace in 1934, note the open swimming pool. It was demolished after the war and some flats were built in its place. Picture is taken going south west.

Here's a shot from google earth, with a plane. Not surprising as it is on the approach to Heathrow. Flats to bottom right.
Ace today.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Has any body seen a dog dyed dark green?

Pandora

Post by Pandora »

Can you imagine going for a quick dip at Knutsford or any other service station these days?!? :shock:

I did wonder if there was a link to the 'Ace Cafe'? Was it part of the same group?

Adam's task, should he chose to accept it, is to track the family through Ancestry and re-unite a descendant with the car if only in the hope the cine film (which hopefully won't self destruct) has survived.

Al

surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

The Ace Café opened in 1938 and was bombed in 1940. Not part of the same group (Clubs not Spades).

https://london.acecafe.com/history/

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Thanks for all the great info. I'll post iot here as & when I find any more.
Mark F

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I wonder if the Dobson Sisters were related to. .

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Dobson

They were all active around the same time & came from the same part of the world. My Ancestory.co.uk correspondent is currently working on it.

The above Mr Dobson died in poverty in 1980.
Mark F

Pandora

Post by Pandora »

"Arthur Charles Dobson (GB)
* 6 Aug 1914 (Lodsworth, Sussex) † 12 Mar 1980 (Battersea, London)

ERA Voiturette driver. Not to be confused with his brother Austin Dobson. Raced an private ERA early in the 1937 season, soon becoming ERA works driver. Raced the troublesome ERA-E during the 1939 season. "

Mention of a Brother but no racy sisters.

Someone will be along in a bit to say Morris was the better brother than Austin though..... :lol:

Al

surfblue63

Post by surfblue63 »

And Riley was the posher one

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

I checked out the AC Dobson connection but that is I suspect a dead end. there is however a Works MG Driver called CF Dobson who has a brother & 3 sisters. We are trying to find more out about them at the moment.
Mark F

Supersonic

Post by Supersonic »

I've been reading Women in Motorsport from 1945. In chapter six about women's participation at the Le Mans 24 Hour Race. I note in the 1938 race Elsie Wisdom and Arthur Dobson drove an MG Midget PB and retired after 48 laps with clutch problem and out of water. Elsie was Ann Riley's mother the great Co-Driver for Pat Moss. :D

Alan