mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:47 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Unquestioning tool of the much misunderstood Mysterons.
Gray wrote:
Shell are presently commissioning huge fleets of hydrogen carriers perhaps that is an indication of the future ;)

I do hope so, it has always struck me as the sensible way to go.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:39 pm 
Site Admin

The thing I took from this story when I first read it was that the company proposing to make this electric van is run by Dr Qu Li. Who first came to prominence as Nick Stephenson's Lover!

Nick Stephenson was if anyone doesn't know part of the infamous "Phoenix Four" who raped Rover Group & very narrowly avoided prosecution for their near criminal ransacking of Rover Group's assets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Venture_Holdings

It's great to know that they are still benefiting from their crime isn't it!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:54 am 

mark
that is very interesting reading and shows the white collar thieves can get away with anything a few years ago woolworths got the great idea and created masters hardware stores to beat bunnings after losing 600 million aud so they say the guy that had that brain wave got 60 million hand shake woolworths finally sold most of their masters stores to bunnings
but if we did not sell coal to china and japan plus southeast asia canada and usa would fill the void our pm wants to enlarge the snowy hydro scheme but is getting resistance from the usual idiots maybe the water might wear out it only goes backwards and forward he also has said we need to build more dams but the usual will happen that we conserve anything else but water
the darling river is dead and the only back is shut down the cotton farms which are mostly chinese owned will not happen
california has the hydrogen highway so why not go that way instead of electric cars hydro cars are lighter
ford australia had a falcon car that ran on water the water was pumped into a flat looking panel which used electricity from the battery to seperate the water into hydrogen and oxygen then into the engine which was a modified petrol 6 and it ran well and put water into the tank butin lesser amounts so the tank would need filling up sometime but some how it was sold to bmw and shelved maybe because of our water shortage who knows
cheers roger :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:54 pm 

Interesting article and reader comments from 'The Engineer' magazine:-
Electric car charging infrastructure
“The big questions should be ‘Where are we going to get all this additional electricity from?’ and ‘How are we going to upgrade the infrastructure to distribute it? Charging an electric car at home with a medium-speed charger is like leaving the electric shower on all night. If just a few people in a street decided to do that it’d blow the local distribution fuse!”
https://www.theengineer.co.uk/poll-elec ... structure/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:16 pm 

Electric motors are being pulled from written-off Teslas in the USA to refit classic cars with electric motors.....
https://news.sky.com/story/owners-turn- ... s-11895031

"This 550-horsepower 1968 Porsche 912 is getting all of its power from an unexpected source: the electric motor from a Tesla Model S P85. It was made by two Southern California shops, Zelectric Motors and EV West, which convert old Volkswagens and Porsches into modernized electric cars. It’s a new way to rescue aging vintage cars — though not everyone is happy with the idea."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYrk5r4kiSM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:22 am 

mk1 wrote:
I'm not at all averse to electric I have driven a couple now & I really like them. As I say when I am not in a situation at work where i am dodging about sometimes doing no miles between my commute & sometimes doing 400 during the day with little or no warning, I'll have an electric at the top of my list.

I don't think they will work for everyone though & if there were as many electric cars on the road as there are petrol & diesel, how are we going to generate enough electricity? If we can generate enough to charge all those cars, I suspect the transmission network will melt under the increased load!

Unfortunately, there isn't such a thing as a free lunch.

I dare you, go try an i3S. You'll be amazed on ho "Mini" it is. Much more so than the MINI ;)

Here Mark: https://www.stratstone.com/new-cars/bmw ... fer/21287/

:)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:30 am 
Site Admin

Funnily enough my brother has just ordered an Electric for his Mrs. I still can't see one working for me due to the way I am out & about a lot some days doing many hundreds of miles with no warning. However, once I have chucked the towel in, then I still think I'd be a good candidate.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:33 am 

mk1 wrote:
Funnily enough my brother has just ordered an Electric for his Mrs. I still can't see one working for me due to the way I am out & about a lot some days doing many hundreds of miles with no warning. However, once I have chucked the towel in, then I still think I'd be a good candidate.

What did he get?
A Tesla has got 300miles range, and competitors are catching up. Should be sufficient for most. I'm not saying all, but most. I drive 70miles a day, commuting. Full "petrol tank" every morning. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:42 am 
Site Admin

Audi E-Tron.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:53 am 

mk1 wrote:
Audi E-Tron.

Not a fan of anything VAG, but ofcourse, that's a great family vehicle :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next