mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: ADO16 brakes
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:50 am 

A question to those of you that tend to drive your ADO16 briskly, how do you find the brake performance?

While i have not had many complaints in the past, i find that most front pads that are available new these days tend to "float" rather than bite, when trying to stop from any decent turn of speed.
I have heard that Allegro / Maxi front discs and calipers is a bolt on upgrade that helps, but sadly i have found no more details on this.

Post subject: Re: ADO16 brakes
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:06 pm 
Site Admin

My MK2 has the daft floating calipers & I have always found the braking to be adequate all be it not stunning. I usually only use NOS Lockheed brake pads though.

These are regularly offered on ebay.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 1:18 pm 

Yes, i suppose that the NOS Lockheed pads still contain asbestos, so they behave better when they heat up quickly.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 2:04 pm 

I seem to recall that the ADO16 used the same pads as the Sprite/Midget. Maybe there are good modern pads available for these cars which could be used?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 4:25 pm 

That was the case for the Mk1 cars only.
Mk2 and Mk3 had unique design of single piston sliding caliper, that also used unique wedge pads. Nevertheless, you can find and fit greenstuff pads for them, but as i understand these need also grooved discs to work well. At least in my car, with standard discs, they are fine with town speeds, but stopping from motorway speeds they do produce that floating feel, even with higher pedal pressures.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 5:28 pm 

When I was competing in my 1300GT in classic rallies and autotests (quite a few years ago now), I used Ferodo pads. This was because in the late 1980's and early 90's brake pads for the MK2 & MK3 cars were extremely hard to find in Northern Ireland and I was fortunate to stumble across the Ferodo warehouse in Belfast who sold me their stock of 1100/1300 pads in their closing down sale. I have just had a look in the garage and see that I have a few sets of Moprod pads that contain a warning that they contain asbestos so they must be quite old.
I never had a problem with the stopping power of the sliding caliper brakes - they could easily lock the front wheels when stopping astride a line in an autotest but found them to be a bit fragile. At one point I was finding spares to be scarce so changed over to Midget calipers and 1100 discs. They were nowhere near as good, so when I came across NOS sliding calipers I snapped them up and they are still on the car which has not turned a wheel now for 16 years!
Would the changeover to Allegro or Maxi brakes require the use of 14" wheels?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:19 pm 

Ferodo (the old stuff at least) has a good name. I remember i have been through sets of pads that were pulling up the smartly, and i was impressed by the deceleration rate at the time. So the basic design cannot be too bad after all.
The car with the Maxi/Allegro calipers has also the 13'' wheels from the Allegro, but i am not sure if this was a necessity due to the brake size.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 8:52 pm 

I forgot to mention in my last post that during one rally we did back in 1990, as the rally progressed, I noticed a grinding noise as I was braking heavily in reverse. I didn't notice any deterioration of braking effectiveness - just this loud grinding noise. After jacking up the front of the front of the car we noticed a shiny area around the circumference of the inside of one front wheel. The bottom of the caliper was moving and grinding against the wheel! Why - the bottom clip that was holding the caliper in position but allowing the caliper to slide,had disappeared! By observing the caliper operating we noticed that, in reverse, there was a lot of movement, apart from the fact that the bottom clip was missing. We concluded after this incident that the sliding frame was subject to wear and over time would let the caliper twist too much, also the grooves for the spring that held the piston in place would wear as well. Finding less heavily used brakes would solve this for a while, but worse case scenario was that the pads would pop out when braking very heavily in reverse, but a similar application going forwards would pop them back!

Perhaps the fact that the sliding calipers themselves are now worn, could be contributing to your lack of confidence in your braking system.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 7:42 pm 

I would imagine that after about 250 K miles the calipers could be indeed worn out. But with the current set of pads there are no clonks or anything alarming. I tend to believe that it is more down to the combination of pad / disc materials that does not offer the optimum friction under certain conditions.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

I am pleased to be able to confirm that after a severe testing session at Blyton last weekend, the brakes on my 1300 were found to be more than adequate.

Anyone who saw Adam hooning round in it, passing far more track savvy Mini's will be able to confirm that he was not hanging about.

Brakes came home perfect, which sadly is more than I can say for the front wheel bearings. Little job to get sorted before our trip to Scotland.