mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:16 am 

Classics World Group Editor Paul Wager road tests and reviews a recently restored 1971 Vanden Plas Princess on sale with Brightwells auction house.

"The Vanden Plas-badged version of the humble Austin ADO16 1100/1300 may have been faintly ridiculed at the time by some for having ideas above its station but with the benefit of hindsight it was an idea well ahead of its time. Indeed, if it was revealed one day that the marketing chiefs of BMW’s MINI brand had taken inspiration from the smallest VdP model to create the ‘premium small car’ sector then nobody would be too surprised."
"Until recently the ADO16 hasn’t commanded values high enough to make expensive restoration financially worthwhile, but interest in the Vanden Plas models is picking up and to restore one to this very high standard yourself would cost far more than the £14,000-£16,000 estimate Brightwells has placed on this example. If you want a way to stand out in the classic crowd and you do a lot of city travel then you won’t get better."
The full article and photos here:-
https://classicsworld.co.uk/cars/road-t ... -princess/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:18 am 

The VDP didn't sell this week, at least not during the auction. It is stunning but just too much. Had it been a Mk1 I think it might have had more interest perhaps but that's just my own preference.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:38 pm 

Robin, I was interested to see how much that VP would have made. I think it was priced far to high and being an automatic would not have helped it I think. My manual VP (XSC 805K) has never seen a welder and is totally original, rust free and near mint. First owner from 1971 to 2011 and I'm the second keeper. I value it about £9k. A restored VP will never made that sort of money is my belief :D

Alan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:45 pm 

I agree Alan, it was overpriced, even if it had been manual transmission. Not doubting the quality of the restoration in any way, looks fabulous. I don't doubt it will sell privately if more realistically priced.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:27 pm 

Although it is nice, i would not call the quality of the restoration fabulous.
For a start, in the photo below you can see orange peel on the left rear wing.
The fabric covered harness is not correct for a Mk3, the battery terminals could have been the correct Lucas style, the pic knick table doesn't fit properly in the seat back, the bumper overrider edge liners (i cannot remember the proper name of the things!) should not go the full length to the bottom, even the number of spot welds in the front inner wing are more than the double from the fatory work! I am really knit picking here, and i do not doubt about the good intentions of the restorer, but i also agree with Alan above that an original unrestored car will always be better.