mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:38 am 

My dad used Sun engine analysers at his garage in the 60's and 70's, one of my jobs as a lad was hooking up every car during its service and listening as he explained what he was looking for on the scope and gauges. Laterally as solid state ignition systems and ECUs became the norm' the old analyser saw far less frequent use. So as yet another mid-life nostalgia trip I decided to equip my own garage with some period Sun equipment. The odd knackered unit comes up on ebay over here but I wanted something that was fully operational so I made contact with a guy in the States who overhauls old Sun equipment as a business, having worked for Sun during the 70's and 80's. He had a recently acquired Sun 1115 Performance Analyzer (c.1978) that had spent its life in a technical college so had been pretty well looked after. That said it was stripped down and given a full overhaul. In addition to the usual functions (tach/dwell/volts/amps/ohms/timing strobe) it also has HC & CO gas analyser, coil & condenser tester and a digital timing unit (looks good but really only of use on certain American cars with magnetic timing pickup). Fair enough you can no doubt cover most of the functionality these days with a laptop and multimeter but where's the fun in that ?. I wanted period equipment. In addition he supplied a VAT40 tester that covers testing the starting and charging systems including maximum load testing both using the carbon pile function. I've already been able to diagnose a couple of ignition faults on my cars using the scope that would have otherwise required the hit or miss approach of changing out parts until the fault is resolved. I am hoping in the future to offer this service to other classic owners as there aren't many garages around who can't or won't look at a car unless you can plug in a laptop or code reader. The scope alone can tell you so much about the ignition/carburation/compression condition of the engine, it's still as relevant today as it was back when just about every garage had this type of equipment.

Image20181108_145032 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

Image20181108_145511 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

Image20180726_122844 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

ImageVat40 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

Image20180720_154805 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:13 pm 

Thanks for posting those photographs Robin, very nice, brought back memories for me. Stewards Motor Works (BMC Dealership) had one of these back in the day. My brother worked there as a mechanic and we went in on a Saturday morning to test our cars for free when the boss was away golfing :D :D

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:04 pm 

Cheers Alan, notice I snuck in the Wolseley to make the thread a bit more relevant :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:02 pm 

At the lock-ups were I keep one of my cars a bloke a couple of garages down has one of those big Sun testers in the back. I've never seen him use it but he says its all working.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:03 pm 

Robin, love that black Wolseley 1100, very rare colour. I get your point, :lol:

Alan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:58 pm 

The guy i worked for as a young lad still has a Sun machine in his garage, it was working, when i worked there in the 80's and i am sure it will still work now.

He is a right hoarder lol.

Next time i pop in i will take a pic

http://www.dunsdalecoachworks.com