mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:57 am 

We had a Land Rover recovery truck at work and one winter when there was snow about I decided to use it to commute in....
Apart from being very cold and uncomfortable I found that I had spent £70 on petrol by the end of the week.
That might not sound such a fantastic sum to you but.........This was in about 1979 :o
Amazing ability in the snow though. Nothing could stop it. There is nothing like 'em.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 8:07 am 

My Pinzgauer.....like the Landrover; something of a game changer in it's day. Portal hubs, diff locks on the fly, auto box and 2.5L turbo diesel. Think I get close to 20mpg on a run :shock:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:58 pm 

series landover looks great.....but really needs a 200tdi fitting, I get 30+mpg from my defender.

Whilst were on about old landrovers this is worth a look
https://youtu.be/QYa9kItHxIw

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 7:22 pm 

timell wrote:
My Pinzgauer.....like the Landrover; something of a game changer in it's day. Portal hubs, diff locks on the fly, auto box and 2.5L turbo diesel. Think I get close to 20mpg on a run :shock:

Very nice indeed, utilitarian personified, my cup o'tea

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:18 pm 

111Robin wrote:
Glad it's not just me then!!. Tbh I've never driven a series LR, but I know what to expect and that's not the point anyway. I just like utilitarian stuff. It's either this or an old Unimog, or army truck, the more ridiculous the better :)

Series Land Rovers aren’t too bad to drive as long as you aren’t in a hurry, Unimogs on the other hand are dreadful, the transmission shunt is just unbelievable. Pinzgauers are great especially the six wheelers,only problem is they aren’t British. What you really want is an Alvis Stalwart, absolutely incredible machines, have a look on You Tube you will be amazed.