mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: A step too far ?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:20 pm 

Found out Saturday that when it was new the Allegro beat Bentley Rolls and BMW
in the crash tests It was the only car that the doors still opened after the test
and drivers cell was intact. It actually only passed so well because it broke down
before it reached the wall :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:12 pm 

Imagine owning an Allegro and having to put up with the pub jokes every day. Imagine. If you own proper BL tat you have to have a thick skin, even if it's a really nice example. Owning a Mini is for lightweights ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:01 pm 

My dad was selling them new in the 70's. I used to help him dewax them after delivery. I had an Allegro 2 for a short while, didn't seem too bad. I kind of like the Mk1 style though, without the number plate it has a very "cartoon" face, I'm sure they will have their day eventually.

Image20171112_100649 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:52 am 

I love Allegros. I often consider getting a good 1275 with a few bolts on performance parts, and use for retrospective targa rallies.
Dad had a Vanden Plas 1500 when I was a wee nipper and it was a class motor - Metallic Brazilian with tan leather for the win 8-)

'64 Morris Cooper S Traveller
'65 Morris Mini Pickup
'83 Austin City E
'84 Sinclair C5
'87 Austin "Seven S" 1000
'04 MG ZR
'07 Vauxhall Astra GTE

http://minitravellerman.wix.com/ballylough-classics

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:34 pm 

Metronick wrote:
fricsman wrote:
A friend of mine had an Allegro Estate, the ride in the rear seats was awful - very bouncy!

There's a joke in there somewhere Dave !

Perhaps I could have worded it better! It was the most uncomfortable car (well apart from another mates Scooby WRX STI) that I've ever ridden in.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:06 pm 

rich@minispares.com wrote:
my dad used to have an allegro back in the day, he bought it as a LHD and converted it to RHD

its the only car that I have ever got repeatedly and ruthlessly car sick in - it was horrific

it had a vinyl roof that someone slashed and as kids we used to peel bits off it, which drove my dad round the bend, it looked like it had leprosy :lol:

its only claim to fame is that its steering column ended up in that V8 powered red mini van

Rich wrote " The only car i got repeatedly and ruthlessly car sick in " :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:36 pm 

More commonly known as the agro in the day I seem to remember :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:08 pm 

goff wrote:
rich@minispares.com wrote:
my dad used to have an allegro back in the day, he bought it as a LHD and converted it to RHD

its the only car that I have ever got repeatedly and ruthlessly car sick in - it was horrific

it had a vinyl roof that someone slashed and as kids we used to peel bits off it, which drove my dad round the bend, it looked like it had leprosy :lol:

its only claim to fame is that its steering column ended up in that V8 powered red mini van

Rich wrote " The only car i got repeatedly and ruthlessly car sick in " :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It was no joke, I used to absolutely spew my ring up. It would give me horrific migraines.

Heap of shit. The day the clutch packed up on it and my dad gave up on it was a good day!

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:56 am 

Unfortunately the Allegro was the first with hydragas and it wasn't fully sorted initially with regards damping. Later versions were much better. A properly gassed system will ride better than a hydrolastic car but over the years the ride deteriorates as the gas pressure reduces. Unfortunately the units can't be regassed without removal and fitting a Schrader valve so over time they just got worse as no one wanted to spend the money on them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:05 am 

111Robin wrote:
Unfortunately the Allegro was the first with hydragas and it wasn't fully sorted initially with regards damping. Later versions were much better. A properly gassed system will ride better than a hydrolastic car but over the years the ride deteriorates as the gas pressure reduces. Unfortunately the units can't be regassed without removal and fitting a Schrader valve so over time they just got worse as no one wanted to spend the money on them.

That makes sense, I had an MG Metro with a similar problem.
Fortunately there's a chap in Telford who can regas them,.He did the Metro units and it was transformed into a fine handling/riding car.

Here's the link

http://www.hydragasandhydrolasticservic ... rvice.html