mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: ebay. discs. arggggg
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:25 pm 

Longbridge 1 wrote:
We have the same problem with Landcrabs.
Trying to get hold of 1800S disc's are also a problem they are very rare.

Steve

Steve, I'm sure you know my friend over here Paddy Gordon? He has the largest collection of Landcrabs in the British Isles including 5 1800S cars :lol: :lol:

Alan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:29 pm 

david ado16.info wrote:

There's not much NOS floating about but EBC do for certain manufacture ADO16 brake discs for the swinging caliper and do have stock.....Part Number: D029

EBC no longer have any stock, with no plans to remake

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:20 pm 

Try TRW part number DF1856.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:48 pm 

Steve, I'm sure you know my friend over here Paddy Gordon? He has the largest collection of Landcrabs in the British Isles including 5 1800S cars :lol: :lol:

Alan[/quote]

Hi Alan,
Yes know Paddy well. I'll meet up with him next month at NEC
Steve

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:42 am 

Longbridge 1 wrote:

Alan

Hi Alan,
Yes know Paddy well. I'll meet up with him next month at NEC
Steve[/quote]

Steve, I think Paddy is displaying his Carlton Grey Wolseley 18/85 S this year at the NEC :D

Alan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:10 am 

rich@minispares.com wrote:
david ado16.info wrote:

There's not much NOS floating about but EBC do for certain manufacture ADO16 brake discs for the swinging caliper and do have stock.....Part Number: D029

EBC no longer have any stock, with no plans to remake

Hi Rich,

I've just been on the phone to my contact in EBC technical - correct, they are out of stock :?

But not discontinued...

They have been on back order for several months - the delay is that only a small number are ordered and so the actual manufacturer will only supply EBC once the overall order from EBC becomes substantial in terms of number of lines, of which D029 is just one.

If you call EBC Brakes UK on +44 (0)1604 583344 and go through to sales, then you can be put onto a list to guarantee supply as soon as the discs come into EBC HQ

Sorry to bang my drum on this one folks :roll: :roll: but this is illustrative of why I'm so desparte to see ALL global ADO16 owners join ado16.info - in 7-months we've got upto 140 members (45% outside UK) which in such a short period of time is impressive :o but I can't tell a stockist that they should stock ADO16 parts for a club with just 140 members - they'd laugh at me :lol: :lol: :lol: (At least our FB Group has grown in a similar time from 800 to 1,647 :o :o :o ). Globally, including the UK there are probably in the region of 6,000 ADO16's.....how do you get those owners to part with £10.00 to join without questionng whether they need what the club provides but rather to simply have the vision that a club with 1000's of members has clout when talking to suppliers of parts and can therefore get those suppliers to take more seriously the importance of holding stock?

:arrow: We've been lucky with Classic Sheetmetal and body panels (they now also do the transmission bracket for the bottom rear stabiliser), exhausts and hydrolastic units are covered for now, rear brake shoes are happening of sort, discussions exist over rear brake drums, I've answered above about steering racks......but I can tell anyone stil bothering to read this that it's tough :? ....and any help anyone can give would be hugely appreciated :) , even if all you do is help swell our numbers and encourage others to do so! :D :D :D

1968 MG 1300 Saloon Connaught Green
1972 Triumph 2.5 PI Estate Royal Blue
1978 Carlight Casetta Caravan
http://carlightrestoration.blogspot.co.uk
1995 Lada Riva 1.5 Estate Cherry

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:20 am 

david

noted, its was ebc who told us they had discontinued them though.......

shoes are like the drums - ebay is a minefield, 99% of the ones offered are just mini ones - like those drums I bought, the labels said they fitted both cars.

I did just buy a set of nos lockhead shoes off ebay that look right, they where cheap and the guy had a few sets, so we will see

I also bought a set from earl part this week, they are expensive, but he is charging a surcharge to get the core back - I always try to support earls as he has made the effort to stock all the parts and get stuff remade.

occasionally I do try and save a few quid - my green car doesn't have the helper springs, instead it has the big rubber hoop bump stops, which have failed.

26 quid each for new ones - or, a set of mini competition bump stops, brackets cut down and welded to the original metal brackets of mine - I made them to the same height as the pair of nos bmc comps 1100 bump stops I have (to nice to waste on my green car!)

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:13 am 

Short update - as some know I'm already in touch with Mintex over rear brake shoes.....it's just that in companies like Mintex the wheels of decision turn even slower than Government so whilst there is progress, it's slow....although if anyone needs rear shoes I can certainly provide a solution through Mintex which is what's on my car at the moment.....

....however, Mintex have a manufacturing partner (Questmead) and I was already speaking with one of their directors having been put in touch through Mintex over front pad manufacture as Mintex were OEM and still have the tooling for the swinging caliper pads.

So yesterday I spoke with Questmead and explained the EBC front disc stock issue - so no promises but Questmead have requested the disc specs which I've supplied this morning......the director might be able to have something manufactured and in theory would be prepared to hold stock, so let's see if there's any progress.

I'm no expert on brakes - just an enthusiast volunteering to do a role in a club, so someone please tell me if I've got something wrong in this information supplied:

Fixed calliper

brake pads are common to the MG Midget Mark II/III so these are well covered
brake discs are unique, diameter 8" (203mm) Lockheed BG1, BMC GBD124

Swinging calliper

brake pads are unique, EBC do make Green Stuff but there are no other options made, EBC DP2155
brake discs are unique, diameter 8.4" (213.36mm) EBC have stock issues - EBC D029, Lockheed BG28, BMC GDB174 also MBD183

1968 MG 1300 Saloon Connaught Green
1972 Triumph 2.5 PI Estate Royal Blue
1978 Carlight Casetta Caravan
http://carlightrestoration.blogspot.co.uk
1995 Lada Riva 1.5 Estate Cherry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:24 am 

the brake pads for the fixed caliper are the same as mini GBP281, so there is a thousand different types available, they will never be an issue

the pads for the swinging (or 'jammed' is probably more appropriate!) caliper can be got ok from ebay, the problem is more the spring retainers, they are really difficult to get, I always try to buy the lockhead pads that do come with them (though some dont, so if they aint in the photo on ebay....)

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:54 am 

Longbridge 1 wrote:
We have the same problem with Landcrabs.
Trying to get hold of 1800S disc's are also a problem they are very rare.

Steve

So we wouldn't be very popular if we said that we turned down a pair of perfect S/2200 discs down to the correct diameter for our 18/85 then ?! :shock: :oops:

Didn't realise at the time that the bigger discs were so rare.

Always on the lookout for such things now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next