mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
At relativity sensible money. . . .

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/University-Mo ... SwGFpZvuz4

Genuine, documented University Motors MG C Special c/w one off paint & Downton StgII conversion.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:54 pm 

Ohh - and a bit of Wood & Pickett too :)

very safe in traffic too ;)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:54 pm 

that is gopping

the owner probably had to tune it up just to get away from the reflections in shop windows

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:59 am 

Sorry, but.....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1972-Datsun-2 ... SwjDZYdg~m

The MGC was a piece of junk 50 years ago. Time hasn't improved it. That one might be as sorted as an MGC could be, but look at it! :o :lol:

I'm sure 20 grand buys a nice Mark 1 3000E Capri as well. 240Z's were epic machines, I bet they still drive well today. That interior needs some...er...toning down.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:34 am 

good find costa

id love a 240Z, a very good looking car

id have a wide body starion as well

I wouldnt even want a MGC to keep the weeds down on the drive

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:21 am 

in 68 they took a big healey apart to copy it, and came up with the 240z , even the engine was there version of the big C . Must admit they did a good job, but toyota's 2000 gt was more there own work, and looked amazing for 69

the crapi was our copy of a small american car, and to be honest it drove just as crap......mine's for sale :?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:28 am 

Nick W wrote:
in 68 they took a big healey apart to copy it, and came up with the 240z , even the engine was there version of the big C . Must admit they did a good job, but toyota's 2000 gt was more there own work, and looked amazing for 69

the crapi was our copy of a small american car, and to be honest it drove just as crap......mine's for sale :?

Not sure about the Nissan - the Nissan straight six OHC was a typical Japanese copy, but of the silver top Mercedes unit. With IRS, rack and pinion, discs on the back as well (I think) and a five speed box the Z really was light years ahead. Yet folk will pay the same for an MGC - madness!

The 3000E was alright, a great car for 1971. I seem to remember that the 69-70 version was a bit iffy but the E and the RS3100 were reckoned to be very good. Ford softened them up later on (GXL).

The 2000GT Toyota was indeed a flash of genius - they're a million dollar car now. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:23 pm 

That's a fantastic colour, got a lot of time for that particular hue.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:20 pm 

Citron is a stunning hue - it reminds me of the Mini 1000's that used to be around in the mid/late seventies. Of the 50 odd Minis I had, none were that colour though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:02 am 

As a former owner of one, I've got to stick up for the MGC. It wasn't much of a sportscar but was a very nice motor in its own right - a good lazy touring car with a great sounding 6 cylinder engine and understated traditional appearance. Mine was Sandy Beige which made it even more discreet. I must say that the one advertised is probably an acquired taste :shock: . Personally I think it looks ghastly but somebody will probably love it and I don't think it is SO expensive given its history. MGCs have always been a bit "marmite" but do have a following. I have always loved the sound of a six cylinder engine and that alone was enough to sell it to me!

I would love another and am half seriously looking at the moment but it would have to be more traditional looking than that one. I bet the modifications mean that it drives well though? A very interesting car I think.