mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:13 pm 

It's nearly February and while it might seem like I've not been doing anything with the 1100, I've actually been getting parts together to sort it out. Soon I should be able to start welding. The only expensive bit left to acquire are the intermediate panels which I'm planning to buy since it saves me trying to make my own and should speed up construction considerably.

I now have new sill closing panels, new outer sills, a new clutch hose that looks correct (I won't know until I attempt to fit it). Was investigating the new local Aldi and they had two dark green washable carpets that are a good match for the interior and I'm hoping they're large enough between them that I can cut them to fit the flat bits of the floor and bind the edges to tidy the cabin up a little more. A new carpet set is £150+, these were just over £10, and even if I get a full carpet set for the car, they'll still serve well as overmats to protect the new carpet underneath.
Image20180129-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Depending how troublesome the clutch hydraulics are to fix on the Princess will depend just when I start work on the 1100 now really. The only panel I need to acquire is the intermediate sill panel, something I'd rather buy than make since it saves me a lot of hassle in assembly. There should be another massive weldathon and serious progress happening on this little car in the near future.

The Wolseley, which has only done 2000 miles in the last decade, passed its MoT with no problems to speak of, as is to be expected really considering the condition of the thing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:20 pm 

Right, let's get this clutch hose changed shall we? Little fiddly to remove the old one, and meant unbolting the brand new slave cylinder again. One thing I did notice on removing this is that there was barely any flow of fluid through the pipe so I'm hoping that this really is the issue.
Image20180206-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Get the new pipe I bought much cheaper than they normally are and not from a reputable 1100 source and... bumhats. Old one on the top in this photo and it's got completely different end fittings. Let this be a lesson to me about going for the cheapest online option.
Image20180206-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Not to worry, I can't do that job (and it's a bit cold and snowy today anyway, so I don't really want to be doing it if I'm honest), I'll crack on with the interior. Bagged a couple of nasty looking fleece blankets which I've found are ideal for padding on door cards and cheaper than scrim foam for the quantity required.
Image20180206-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Removing the door cards was fairly easy once I'd figured out that the black trim around the front door release handles is what holds the card in place and can be gently pried out with a skinny screwdriver. The problem is that they're all a little bit damp and wobbly, the driver's door one especially so. I've got them drying out next to the dehumidifier and I suspect I'm going to have to make new cards and cover those, these are not looking too clever. They'll be easy to make, they're a simple design and completely flat.
Image20180206-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Not the best first fettling day of the year on this car. I'll go and order that clutch hose from a reputable source now, like I should have done the first time.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:30 pm 

That's a mini clutch hose you've purchased... BTW q

Nice work!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:12 pm 

It's free to anyone that can make use of it. No good to me, I don't have a Mini.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:50 pm 

Good news and odd news today. Good news is that the new clutch hose was in fact correct this time and by the time I'd done my errands and got to the unit, Mike had already fitted it. The other good news is that the new hose made bleeding the clutch hydraulics much easier, lending credence to the theory that the old hose was knackered.
Image20180321-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

The odd news is the clutch. I'm going to break this down into a little list to hopefully explain it a bit better, there might be something obvious I'm missing.

Gear selection with engine running - No gears will select. Fourth is the only one that makes an audible protest with a grinding noise, 1-3 and reverse won't even let you put the stick in the gate.
Gear selection with engine off - perfectly fine.
Starting car in gear - perfectly fine, in all gears. This was done just with the gear selected and a flick of the key, I didn't try to drive it like this.
Pedal feel - positive and like a clutch should feel. Pumping the pedal makes it very firm and difficult to push, as you'd expect of a healthy system.
From the information in the various manuals we've got with the car, Mike and I suspect either something in the clutch is stuck or the clutch itself is worn out. I don't especially want to pull it apart and do a clutch change at the moment, especially if it's a big or expensive job.
Clutch arm operation - as described in the book with no adjustment left to make and no obvious signs of excessive wear that might reduce travel. Even operating the arm manually (big pry bar) to force maximum mechanical travel and thus remove the hydraulics from the equation resulted in the same lack of gear selection when engine was running. This is why I don't think it's hydraulics related or air trapped in the system.

I'm actually annoyed about my mixed feelings about this car at the moment too. I did find if I sit on only half the driver's seat with my bum nearly on the handbrake, I can actually use all the controls comfortably. That's not ideal for actually driving the thing. It started up on the first flick of the key, even after being left alone outside for ages in all weathers. It's such a willing and charming little thing I'm disproportionately sentimentally attached to it! I am really fond of this little car and while realistically it is going to have to go before I move house this year, I really don't want it to go to someone that's just going to pull it to bits or worse. This is stupid because it is just a car, obviously, but I have the feels and like the Princess, there's something about this little car that makes me want to persist with it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:09 pm 

try this

take the return spring off

back the two big nuts off so they do not stop the clutch going to far

pump the clutch

pull the clutch arm out by hand until the release bearing is as far as it will go

wind the small adjuster bolt out all the way to the arm

pump the clutch

wind the small bolt back in one flat

start the car and see if you can get the gears - if yes, turn it off and press the clutch, wind the big nuts back in, let go of the clutch and wind the big bolt one more flat, nip the lock nut up.

if you cannot get the gears using the method above, you have to assume the clutch is worn internally - the above method gets the most out of the hydraulic external system

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:37 pm 

Thank you! We shall give that a try when I'm at the unit next.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:23 am 

Vulgalour wrote:
Gear selection with engine running - No gears will select. Fourth is the only one that makes an audible protest with a grinding noise, 1-3 and reverse won't even let you put the stick in the gate.
Gear selection with engine off - perfectly fine.
Starting car in gear - perfectly fine, in all gears. This was done just with the gear selected and a flick of the key, I didn't try to drive it like this.

When you started the car in gear, I presume form your comment that it did not feel like it was trying to drive with your foot off the brake?

Did you try moving from one gear to another after starting in gear (say from 3rd to 4th)?

I guess I am struggling with the inability to select anything from neutral with the engine running but being able to start in gear with the clutch depressed. The only thing that this suggests to me is that the clutch s not completely disengaging (maybe dragging on the splines) but then I would expect it to try and drive when started in gear as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:03 am 

I described it badly, sorry about that. You can only select gears when the engine is off. If you select a gear and start the car, it will lurch on the starter in the direction of that gear. General consensus on other forums (where I've also had to make the clarification above) is that the clutch is probably just stuck from being stood. So I've got various directions on how to get around that to free it off and hopefully sort it fairly painlessly. Shan't be until Friday though, work commitments are in the way between now and then.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:32 am 

Vulgalour wrote:
I described it badly, sorry about that. You can only select gears when the engine is off. If you select a gear and start the car, it will lurch on the starter in the direction of that gear. General consensus on other forums (where I've also had to make the clarification above) is that the clutch is probably just stuck from being stood. So I've got various directions on how to get around that to free it off and hopefully sort it fairly painlessly. Shan't be until Friday though, work commitments are in the way between now and then.

if the plate is stuck, then starting the car in gear will be enough to flick it free, just do all the elf and safety stuff like making sure you can stop the car!

its rare that the plate sticks on these as the oil that creeps through the oil seal does tend to stop plates rusting onto the flywheel

its normally only cars that have just had brand new clutch's and then stood for a while that stick, its because every thing is so clean and new and the acid in the plate material is able to really get a hold of the flywheel which absolutely welds then in place, old dogs tend not to suffer from this because of the dust and oil.

years ago my dad did the clutch in one of his cars, left it for a couple of months and it was stuck solid - it was a powerful car and nothing would free it off, when we took the box back out (moss box with overdrive - so a right lump!) the plate was so stuck to the flywheel we had to get a blade under it and work at it until it came off - after that he started to chock the clutch pedal down if he left it :lol:

'long beard boss'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next