mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:46 pm 

I think its the sensible thing to do

you can buy a half decent one to run around in for £1500 quid if you want to get your ado16 mojo back

might be worth having a word with pugz on here - didn't he want to buy it back?

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
That's a real shame, but in view of the amount of work needed I can understand why you have made the decision.

I will miss the updates though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:41 pm 

If I had the cash I'd just get an order in with Earlpart for a pair of intermediate panels, outer sills and possibly jacking points because I have a suspicion mine are totally missing.

I've not spent very much at all so far on this one, it was about £100 to collect it (effectively the purchase price), £25ish for some minor bits, £20ish for trumpet and floor, £130ish for the closing panels, £30-40 I think on minor mechanical bits... that's what, £300-350? If I spend another £300-500 on the sill panels I need it's still well under a grand and I've got a running, not-rotten car that's worth more than I've spent. I don't factor in my labour since this is a hobby and something I (usually) enjoy doing.

£1500 might well net me a better example to start with but it'll need all the same work because you can guarantee it'll be bodged, they always are. I'd rather spend the £1500 on this one and have the peace of mind that it's all done and done right. Don't forget, I've got two other cars besides this one and they both need work as well so getting a fourth car - tempting though it is - isn't really sensible and certainly not in the scope of my meagre budget.

I'm not in a rush to get rid of the Austin, I just need to mothball it for a bit while I get the few jobs the Rover (mainly the rear arch repair I've put off for two years, even though I've got all the stuff I need to do it) and Princess (suspension pipe leak) need. I've got through a lot on the Austin in a very short period of time and I'm glad I tackled it the way I did, had I started with the driver's side stuff first it would not have been saved but now I have too much work invested in it to stop here. I'm just having a little break while I save up.

Ooh, actually, there is something folks can do to help! I have a Redbubble print shop over here: https://www.redbubble.com/people/angylroper selling prints of my artwork. That's what I do for a living, by the way, I'm a self-employed artist full time. I do work by commission too, so if you wanted a Mini or ADO16 picture doing, I can do that (there aren't any of those in the shop yet). Just drop me a PM on here, an e-mail to volksangyl@hotmail.com, or message me on Twitter at @angylroper.

Just spreading the word helps too if you know anyone that fancies some artwork doing, most of my work is done in ink and watercolour on high quality paper (Bristol Board), I'm still finding my feet with digital for automotive work. Anyway, enough pimping of my wares, this is a thread for rusty old Austins. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:27 am 

Hi ya,

This car holds a lot of sentimental value to me, so i really do not want to see it scrapped, if it does come for sale can you let me know i would love to buy it back. I dont think you should sell it, the inner sills are flat plate, the closing panels are also plate plate bent 3 ways. Sills come up cheap on ebay.

Regards

Simon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:49 am 

pugzadams wrote:
Hi ya,

This car holds a lot of sentimental value to me, so i really do not want to see it scrapped, if it does come for sale can you let me know i would love to buy it back. I dont think you should sell it, the inner sills are flat plate, the closing panels are also plate plate bent 3 ways. Sills come up cheap on ebay.

Regards

Simon

your dad might have to get his spray gun back out..... :lol:

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:44 pm 

Having followed this thread it makes me realise how stupid I was to get rid of our Mk1 Morris 1100 that had been in the family since '69 and with which I passed my test. It was nowhere near as bad as this car yet I thought it was beyond saving. Sold it on Ebay and have recently seen the parts listed for sale so now scrapped. The person who bought it wouldn't even let me have the seat belts from it as a keepsake,, no doubt he punted them for £300!.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:11 pm 

111Robin wrote:
Having followed this thread it makes me realise how stupid I was to get rid of our Mk1 Morris 1100 that had been in the family since '69 and with which I passed my test. It was nowhere near as bad as this car yet I thought it was beyond saving. Sold it on Ebay and have recently seen the parts listed for sale so now scrapped. The person who bought it wouldn't even let me have the seat belts from it as a keepsake,, no doubt he punted them for £300!.

I told you that you should have bought your granddads car back when it was for sale, I can remember that it didn't look bad at all

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:29 pm 

rich@minispares.com wrote:
111Robin wrote:

I told you that you should have bought your granddads car back when it was for sale, I can remember that it didn't look bad at all

I know, having delved deeper into the bodywork side of these recently I reckon I could have easily got it back on the road but circumstances at the time meant we had to offload it. It does annoy me that the guy assured me he'd have it back on the road. Having seen all of the 1100 parts he sells it's obvious he just breaks them up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:26 pm 

I've only ever scrapped one car, I don't plan on making it two. If it turns out I haven't the resources to get this sorted in a timely fashion then it will be offered for sale first on here and other forums I use so it has the best chance of finding a good home. I'm a way off that yet, so for now I'm just putting pennies away to buy some nice new panels.

Does anyone have a picture of what the jacking points should look like? I'm pretty sure mine are gone but I'm struggling to find photographs of what should be there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:15 pm 

The sill jacking points were deleted in the later cars. This is my mk1 opened up for surgery.
Image20170802_145959 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr
Image20170803_215830 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr
Image20170803_152824 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr
Image20170810_122220 by Robin Derrick, on Flickr

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next