mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:16 pm 

I arrive here via Retrorides where user 1100 gave me a tip off. Been looking for a place that isn't Facebook and doesn't require me to pay money to access so I can get some help and share the build on my recently acquired ADO16. Collection happens on Sunday, delivery might not happen until Tuesday, it's quite a long way away you see and the collection plan is a little convoluted and involves four people in three different parts of the country.

I know it's got rusty and I know these like to rust almost as badly as a Mini. I am prepared though, I've owned this Princess for five years and recently completed a weldathon. If I can keep an old lump like this with almost no bodywork support in reasonable health an ADO16 should be a walk in the park. It's a standard 1.7 HL with a manual gearbox and Hydragas suspension which is currently leaking as of a couple of days ago, rendering it immobile yet again. Once I've sorted the leak she'll be back in regular use along side my other car.

The daily driver is a 114,000 mile Rover 414 that I've spent more money than I have sense on and afflicted with a Gold Leaf colour scheme partly by accident. I wasn't aiming to copy the Gold Leaf scheme, it just happens that I did.

So, that gives you a flavour of the sort of horrible cars I'm into. This new one isn't a car I was looking to acquire, indeed since selling the Renault 6TL I rescued from Wales (er yeah, I'm a serial weird car offender) I was quite happy to have just the two. Thing is, I've been aware of this car for a few years and whenever it's come available the timing has been wrong with a lack of space, time, money or all of the above stopping me from stepping in. This time it was up for grabs because of a house move and the scrapyard beckoned and, for once, I had the space, time and funds to step in and save it.

It's unique. I like unique. I have pieced a little of its history together learning that it was originally Harvest Gold that was then painted over the entire car with black underseal. Removing said underseal took a lot of the Harvest Gold off with it so it was repainted satin black for a bit before later being painted purple. It was on the road only five years ago and the MoT history is very clean. The interior is part Austin with the original dashboard and door cards in a browny-yellowy-green that's just as horrible as Harvest Gold, green carpets and green Wolseley seats. Bit of a mongrel. It came off the road to have a little bit of welding and we all know how that goes with old BMC tat.

It's since had repairs to the bulkhead, lower boot corners, some areas of the sills (which have both been replaced in full at least once) and the rear subframe mounting points. All pretty usual stuff. It needs work to one front inner wing, one lower boot corner, both rear wings and of course the front panel which has filler around the lights. None of this bothers me, which is just as well, and I'll not know the extent of the work until I see it in person.

Did I mention I've agreed to take this on through the strength of some photographs? Yeah, I have a habit of doing that. Makes for a fun adventure. I'm told the starter motor is dead and there's some pipework missing but the Hydralastic is nice and level and looks to sit at a good height so it's not all bad.

I'll keep you all posted on progress and I'll probably ask for help when it comes to repairs and parts sourcing. It is mostly going to stay looking as it does in the above picture in purple with a green interior. Paint is one thing I can never afford to get done so I tend to be limited to rollers and aerosols. I haven't a suitable space to paint the car myself with compressors and whatnot either so I make do and mend. This will be a theme throughout. I'm not a bodger, I just have to do things on a tight budget. Luckily, almost everything ADO16 seems to be cheap unless I'm going in for big chunks of brand new bodywork of course.

Oh, and HI! I'm new.

Last edited by Vulgalour on Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 22 times in total.

Post subject: Re: 1972 Austin 1100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:46 pm 

Vulgalour wrote:
painted over the entire car with black underseal. .

NOW that's a bodge!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cant beat a 2 door sports coupe

they are ace!

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:50 pm 

It's a good way to keep all the rust in.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
Why did I know that Rich would be first to reply ?????

Oh, that's right, he's filled my shed with hopeless projects that make that look like new :)

I really hope that you manage to get the 2 door up & running soon & I hope we can be of some help.

Welcome to the forum.

M

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:11 pm 

mk1 wrote:

Oh, that's right, he's filled my shed with hopeless projects that make that look like new :)

none of them have ever burst a displacer though, have they........ :lol:

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 5:50 pm 

I'm hoping it's not too bad. The A Series is an easy old lump to work on, last one I had dealings with was a 1300 A+ in my old 1997 Maestro a few years ago. Apart from the Total Loss Oil/Constant Chassis Rustproofing system they come with as standard there's nothing to fault them on really. If it turns out to be really good and the seating position suits me then I'm going to see about getting some Austin America pop-outs installed. Having had a two door (Mk2 Polo breadvan/estate) with no pop outs I'd rather not have to put up with that again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:19 pm 

Let's have some pictures, shall we? These are the pictures I was sent as it's most up-to-date condition, I think I know what I'm looking at but if anything jumps out as particularly good or bad to you, please do shout up. Where the car is kept isn't really ideal for taking good pictures of it, as is usual with this sort of car it's boxed in a bit. Passenger side you can see from the red oxide where there's some rust bubbling in the usual place and a repair to the front of the sill. There's the hint of filler in the headlight bowl too, all normal stuff, nothing too surprising here.

This shot is from a little while ago before some of the purple was applied but it gives a better idea of where things have been fettled with and the general condition of the roof. These never seem to suffer particularly on the roof unless they've had vinyl fitted.

The rear wing/arch area. I've got the same repair still to do on my Princess. I'm told both sides are much the same on the 1100 and that this is the worst of the two.

Engine room is tidy enough. In need of a few hoses, I'm told, since the heater box was removed to sort out the bulkhead. I don't know whether or not the air ducting is present, I'm going to assume not.

The front inner wing has a big piece cut out, the piece does come with the car so I'll have something to work from. This was for rust repair, I gather this is a fairly normal place for them to go and taking the front wing off makes life easier to repair it properly.

In the boot, one side a repair was started but not finished. Not sure how much of this I'll need to redo until I see it in person, it looks like the rust is dealt with but the patches are only tacked in place so I might end up removing it all and starting again here, we'll see.

The other side hasn't been started yet.

The mismatched interior with its plush Wolseley seats.

You can see there's been some repairs to the floor/sill/under-the-seat bit. I'll likely leave all this alone unless it looks like it's over grot.

The... focused... interior.

Some surface rust in the front but it doesn't seem to be grotty crumbleflakes so I reckon this'll be okay with a scrub and some paint.

Overall, for a free car, that's pretty good in my estimation. I'll know more on Sunday when it's collected as I'll be able to speak to the current owner and have a good poke at things myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:35 pm 

Brave man !. Looks like an awful lot of work is necessary. I guess if it's free and you discover it's too far gone you can sell the parts to fund buying a better one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:48 pm 

There's practically no welding to do on it. You should see what I was having to do on the Princess.

That's just the floor work. It's also had the boot corners, front wings and rear wings repaired, the front and rear valances rebuilt, one outer sill fully replaced, one outer sill repaired (before I had a panel so I need to do that again in the future) and both inner sills repaired. It's also had a head gasket done, lots of wiring fixing to undo historic bodge, running issues resolved, suspension issues (three displacers in five years, a split pipe and now a leaking pipe) and numerous other items that have just worn out with age.

This 1100 has *got* to be less work than that. It actually has a floor and sills, which already puts it ahead of the Princess before I started the weldathon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:21 pm 

Good news!

I have that inner wing repair panel. I bought it and unpicked the trumpet off it. Obviously you will need to find a trumpet, but the repair section is all new.

£10 if you want it

Also might have a pair of opening windows. Might need a repair. Will have to check

'long beard boss'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next