mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:13 am 

Fortune appears to be with me on this one, quite a few folks have said they think they have a suitable spring they can send me so fingers crossed that sorts this out. Then I'll get to actually drive this car, hopefully, allbeit not very far.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:44 am 

I have a complete clutch master cylinder that i accidentally put a really big hole in with an engine....

I could send you that.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:43 pm 

Can't figure out how you managed that one. But hey, if the spring is still good I shan't say no. Just let me know what you need from me and I'll be able to put whatever's useful of it in my slowly growing 1100 spares stash.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:23 pm 

PM me your address and ill post it out, its on scrap pile so no use to me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:36 pm 

Well... that rules one person out as a suspect. A spring arrived in the post today in an envelope that had a printed address rather than handwritten and a franking stamp so blurred you can't read it. I don't know who sent it, but I have one now. Mystery benefactors always send me useful old car bits, it's not like in the stories, but infinitely more useful.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:32 pm 

not me gov, i dont have your address. Glad your sorted. I'll send this one to the great scrap yard in the sky haha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:47 pm 

The mystery benefactor has identified themself! Like yours, Pugz, it was destined for the scrap bin and I just happened to shout up before it was disposed of. Hoping to get that all back together and in the car tomorrow and see if we can actually get some gears with the engine on. I'll even take a video if my potato-cam is up to it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:14 pm 

Today has been pretty good for the little purple monster. First point of business was the clutch master cylinder, with Mike showing me how to rebuild one of those. The new spring - courtesy of my good friend Adam over in Lincolnshire - has made quite a large difference to operation.
Image20171118-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

It was tested before fitting the car as much as could be and then reinstalled. With the brake master cylinder having been reinstalled the correct way around, installation of the clutch master cylinder wasn't too difficult. It's even easier without the heater pipes fitted too. The only difficulty we had was failing light (short days are rubbish, they really are) and the system not wanting to fully bleed. There is movement at the arm now which is good, it just needs to be more. We'll get the power bleeder on the system probably on Monday and then it should be fully operational again.
Image20171118-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Just in case, I wanted to throw a battery on and see if there was enough movement to engage the clutch properly. Sadly there wasn't so no drive happened today. Instead I went through what electrical systems I could that had been dormant. Started with main beam since the stalk had been knocked when I was refitting the seat. The telltale coming on was promising.
Image20171118-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

The sealed beam filling with smoke less so. There's no sidelight on the driver's side at the moment and the passenger side one works when it feels like it. Pretty sure I've got a good spare 7" sealed beam headlight so I'll stick that in soon.
Image20171118-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Dipped beam next then. The front sidelight did come on briefly. Worth noting as well that the rear lights wouldn't come on with main beam, but come on fine with dipped, Not sure why that would be, but it's one to investigate. The atmospheric smoke is from the brake fluid that was spat on the exhaust when bleeding, it burned off fairly promptly.
Image20171118-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Image20171118-06 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Image20171118-07 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Next I tried out the indicators, caught the stalk and got a BEEP. That means the horn works, but the problem seems to be the stalk since I couldn't get another beep to happen. Indicators on the driver's side are a bit sticky too, again this seems to be stalk related since you have to get it just so. They do work though, so that's good.
Image20171118-08 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Image20171118-09 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

The only other thing of note was that the tiny bit of hose between the fuel filter and carburettor had gone brittle and needed replacing. After that was done, the car started perfectly willingly, as always, and then highlighted it has a slightly sticky throttle which appears to be the carburettor end so it needs some lubrication and/or cleaning. Looking at the floor repairs after a long time of not doing made them seem much less bad a job, so once this clutch is bled and the car is driveable I'll be able to get on with that next.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:51 pm 

That poor old gt6 has had a good punt up the arse hasn't it!

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:55 pm 

That it has! Amazingly, the door and roof are okay and it seems the chassis is okay too. Not my project that one, but one that already has a replacement shell sourced which can be used for panels, if not the whole shell. It's going to be a big job for them!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next