mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Morris 1300 gt history
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 1:26 pm 

Hi all.
For a recent birthday present one of my sons got me a heritage cert for my morris 1300 gt (recently featured in classic and sports car).
Now I know they stopped making the morris gt in 1971 and was always intrigued as to why mine was registered Jan 72.
The heritage cert confirms my car was dispatched 16 Jan 1971 to WH Alexander Ltd in Belfast.
I am hoping someone (supersonic probably) has heard of them and could give me an insight as to weather the car would have been re-registered when it returned to England (Cheshire) in Jan 72 or if it had just been sat unregistered in Belfast for a year before perhaps being moved to another dealership.
Any info or thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:15 pm 

underkut wrote:
Hi all.
For a recent birthday present one of my sons got me a heritage cert for my morris 1300 gt (recently featured in classic and sports car).
Now I know they stopped making the morris gt in 1971 and was always intrigued as to why mine was registered Jan 72.
The heritage cert confirms my car was dispatched 16 Jan 1971 to WH Alexander Ltd in Belfast.
I am hoping someone (supersonic probably) has heard of them and could give me an insight as to weather the car would have been re-registered when it returned to England (Cheshire) in Jan 72 or if it had just been sat unregistered in Belfast for a year before perhaps being moved to another dealership.
Any info or thoughts would be appreciated.
Cheers

W.H. Alexander had the franchise for Morris, Wolseley, MG and Vanden Plas and were main distributors in Northern Ireland. Their main depot was Morris House, 90 – 106 Victoria Street Belfast. They also had another business at 123 Donegall Street Belfast. W.H. Alexander was without question the largest BMC dealership in Northern Ireland. Your car may well have sat in W.H. Alexander's for a year before being supplied to another dealership. They did stop making the Morris 1300 GT in 1971 but like you I have a Morris 1300 GT registered on 9 June 1972. It has a chassis number of MAHDZ12975M :)

Alan

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:44 pm 

Thanks Alan.
That was just the sort of details I was after.
Do you run standard English number plates in Northern island?.
I did buy a car in the past that came from Jersey and was registered when imported back in 1983 but they had stopped production in 77 so I had many a strange look at shows and eventually got an age related plate assigned to it.
My gt chassis number is around 1000 lower than yours so maybe they did struggle to shift them , but I guess if you had the choice at the time you would naturally go for the mark 3 Austin at the time, unless the dealer could do you a good deal for an "older" model

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:38 pm 

underkut wrote:
Thanks Alan.
That was just the sort of details I was after.
Do you run standard English number plates in Northern island?.
I did buy a car in the past that came from Jersey and was registered when imported back in 1983 but they had stopped production in 77 so I had many a strange look at shows and eventually got an age related plate assigned to it.
My gt chassis number is around 1000 lower than yours so maybe they did struggle to shift them , but I guess if you had the choice at the time you would naturally go for the mark 3 Austin at the time, unless the dealer could do you a good deal for an "older" model

Northern Ireland has the same system as the UK mainland and has always had its regional registrations by County. The same Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency in Swansea now covers all of the UK and Northern Ireland. There are thousands of UK registrations over here and many people like myself would never dream of changing a vehicle's original registration :D

Alan