mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 8:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:48 pm 

Leadfoot1 wrote:
Vulgalour wrote:
Perhaps brilliant was a bit strong. :oops:

They handled well, everything else about Suds was terrible.
We had one in at work,first year of production, jacked up the off side front using the correct jacking point, owner decides to open driver door! OH SH1T. There is a huge bang and the windscreen jumps out and bounces off the bonnet, no one knows whether to laugh or cry. Then we notice the huge crease across the roof! No one is laughing now. We put wheel back on lower jack and door won’t shut. This car is scrap and only a couple of months old. Eventually after lots of arguing Fiat GB give owner a new car.

Fiat then issue jacking instructions to workshops.
Remove bonnet, place beam under subframe and attach 2 chains from above, use engine crane to raise car.
Brilliant design? I think not.

Fiat bought Alfa Romeo in 1986, 3 years after Sud production ended and 13 years after it began for RHD..........

I did my apprenticeship at Alfa so your story doesn't quite ring true. Especially as the screens were bonded in and not rubber seal fit until 1977. They don't have a front subframe either.......

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:56 pm 

I assure you that this happened. The fine details may not be absolutely accurate as it was a long time ago. The roof creased and the windscreen broke and came at least partially out and the door would not close.
The jacking instructions are basically what was stated although a subframe may not have been mentioned especially as you say one was not fitted.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17