mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Peter Manton Rig....
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:50 am 

The recently surfaced ex-Peter Manton Shell mini. It had been in storage since 1975, along with Peter's trailer and spares package. The car is basically untouched since Peter sold it and will be back on track in the near future.
As interesting is the Australian designed and built Mk2 Austin 1800 ute tow car.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: Peter Manton Rig....
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:25 pm 

Unfortunately we never had the "ute" in the UK but I covered many many miles towing with my twin carb Mk2 1800 "S" saloon. A great tow-car. British Leyland never produced a decent replacement in my opinion which is why I kept it for several years.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:53 pm 

I bet the headlamps on that could have doubled as ww2 searchlights when it had the trailer and a boot full of spares pushing the back down!

:lol:

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:26 pm 

Yes, my 1800 saloon used to sit down a bit at the back when loaded - although it had competition bump-stops fitted which helped a bit. I don't recall doing a lot of night driving but, having had Austin 7s I was quite used to driving without the benefit of good headlamps :lol: My eyes were sharper in those days - And there wasn't so much traffic!

The "Ute" plainly has more rear overhang than the saloon (more like an Austin 3Litre) so would have been more affected perhaps? I wonder if the rear suspension was altered much? The 3Litre had a sort of self-levelling system if I recall correctly.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:33 pm 

They had upgraded rear hydro bags and torsion bars

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=14869

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=17264

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:15 pm 

Old English White wrote:
Unfortunately we never had the "ute" in the UK but I covered many many miles towing with my twin carb Mk2 1800 "S" saloon. A great tow-car. British Leyland never produced a decent replacement in my opinion which is why I kept it for several years.

Dad would agree with that Richard. :)

He had several Landcrabs that he used to tow our livestock trailer back in the late 70's through to the 90's. He did have a Princess 1800 for a couple of years but that was rubbish at towing and he eventually sold it and bought another Landcrab.

His current 18/85 is a lovely car to travel in and with power steering, a nice car to drive.

Would be tempted with a big 'S' myself if I had the undercover storage space - probably just as well I haven't :lol:

I've seen a Ute at the BMC Spares Day and it does look a nice car with a large load bay.

Were they all Mk2's ??