mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:04 am 

I know a couple of people who've looked into manufacturing displacers and both decided very quickly the costs would be huge to make such a complex part. Considering Ss were fitted with ordinary displacers for the first year and a half or so of hydro production they don't seem to fetch much when they come up for sale.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:27 am 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
I agree with Pete. Although it would be brilliant for someone to come up with replacement displacers for either ADO16s or Minis, I personally doubt it will happen due to the HUGE up front cost & very small demand.

I do however hope that I am wrong in this regard.

1933 MG J2
1943 Willys MB
1961 Morris 850
1963 Minisprint
1965 Speedwell S
1965 Hornet
1967 Austin Cooper S
1968 Terrapin
1968 Downton Tuned 1300 MK2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:35 pm 

Surely there's some longtime Mini or 1100 enthusiasts out there, perhaps in retirement, not knowing what to do with the bucket's full of money they've accumulated during their life. Do the right thing, I say, and donate it to a displacer development effort. Help keep hydro suspended cars on the world's roads.

Naming rights for the product could surely be organised for a wealthy benefactor.

Forster Bags has a nice ring to it. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:46 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
Forster Bags has a nice ring to it.

That would involve being dragged along the road by the seat of your pants :lol:

1933 MG J2
1943 Willys MB
1961 Morris 850
1963 Minisprint
1965 Speedwell S
1965 Hornet
1967 Austin Cooper S
1968 Terrapin
1968 Downton Tuned 1300 MK2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:23 pm 

winabbey wrote:

Forster Bags has a nice ring to it. ;)

that's old hydro units

old and scabby, leaking a foul smelling viscous fluid

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:40 pm 

Highnumbers wrote:
Does anybody know what happened to the original tooling for the displacers? Would be interesting to know if they could be located and used to recreate new items.

I did recently try contacting 'Dunlop Systems' via email to ask if they had any historic information or old photographs in their company archives, showing the factory manufacturing process and tooling used in the production of the Dunlop/Moulton Hydrolastic suspension units as used on cars of the BMC /British Leyland /Austin Morris range of cars, especially the BMC Mini's from 1964-1970 and does any of the original tooling or engineering development material or engineering detail drawings survive or was everything scrapped?
Sadly as expected there was no reply......

Dunlop History
The Dunlop Pneumatic Tyre Company opened its first factory in the Hillfields area of Coventry in 1890. In 1908, following the acquisition of the neighbouring Stevenson Wheel Company, the Coventry factory was renamed the Dunlop Rim & Wheel Company Limited. The company relocated to the Holbrook Lane site in Coventry in 1919, where over the years it developed its engineering contribution to both the automotive and aviation industries. In 1959, collaboration between the British Motor Corporation, Moulton Developments and Dunlop saw the launch of the Mini motor car (ADO15). This was fitted with Dunlop manufactured cone spring suspension which, due to its success, quickly resulted in Dunlop forming a Suspensions Division in Coventry. The partnership continued with the launch of the BMC 1100 (ADO16) in 1962, followed by the 1800 (ADO17), both of which were fitted with Hydrolastic suspension manufactured by the Dunlop Suspension Division. With the change to Leyland cars in the 1970s came a further development, with the introduction of hydragas suspension on the Allegro, Princess, Metro, Ambassador and MGF vehicles. In 1970, The Suspension Division enlarged to include the further development and manufacture of the Pneuride® & Flexolink® air suspension systems, initially having levelling valves, to serve the commercial and public service vehicle market. With the introduction of Electronically Controlled Air Suspension (ECAS) in 1990 for Range Rover, the company extended the Pneuride range to include the sports utility market.
During 2007 Dunlop Systems and Components was formed as a management buyout of the Dunlop Coventry suspension division factory from previous owners Trelleborg AB. In the spring of 2014, the company moved to an all new, purpose built factory at Prologis Park in Coventry so ending a 95-year history at nearby Holbrook Lane.
http://www.dunlopsystems.com/about.html

Dunlop Systems and Components
Central Boulevard
Prologis Park
Coventry
CV6 4QJ
Phone: 02476 889900
Email: info@dunlopsystems.com

Does anyone know of any films, photos of the Hydrolastic Unit manufacturing process or factory machinery in the UK or elsewhere?
Does anyone perhaps know someone who worked in the original production process or what happened to the tooling?
There must have been some impressive machines and processes to produce millions of those unique suspension units in such a wide variety of shapes and sizes but sadly there seems to be very little record of it today.....does Heritage (BMH) have any info or drawings perhaps?

The one millionth Hydrolastic unit was gold plated and presented to Dr Moulton who invented the system.
http://www.hydragas.co.uk/history.html

The future of Hydrolastic suspension
viewtopic.php?t=14542&p=117115

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:30 pm 

Martin, you have asked all the questions for me, thank you :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:11 pm 

Some photos of a set of NOS displacers..... 8-)
https://mmalleck.smugmug.com/Cars/NOS-Mini-hydrolastic/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:13 am 

mab01uk wrote:
does Heritage (BMH) have any info or drawings perhaps?

bmh 'think' they probably have all the information, but have not yet got round to sorting all the drawings out - its a mammoth job that will take years to do (my man there was kind enough to ask if I fancied a new job as he thought I would be ideal for it, but changed his mind when I pointed out that I would be devious enough to spend time salting my own drawings into the mix and altering the dates on things that suited me..... :lol: :lol: :lol: - 'but ive found a drawing that clearly shows that roller rockers where used in 1962' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

im putting my feelers out to a load of people I know though, so we will see what turns up.

my gut feeling is that they will just be too expensive to make

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:14 am 

mab01uk wrote:
Some photos of a set of NOS displacers..... 8-)

we used to have loads of those at work, they came from a dispersal sale from the military.

'long beard boss'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next