mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:32 am 

rich@minispares.com wrote:
mab01uk wrote:

Thanks......I think you are right they would probably be too expensive or complex to re-make but it would still be interesting to get some details or insight into the original production process, if you can turn up anything that would be great.

I doubt they will be as complex as some of the projects we have done, but the decider will the costs of the tooling and the qty that might be sold

Note: Since my last post in this ADO16 thread, I found this link below (I previously posted it in the Mini section of Mk1 Forum) which gives some more details on the Hydrolastic production & testing process........

First 10 pages of this PDF (link below) is an in depth detailed technical article on the ADO16 Hydrolastic suspension (Sep 1962) and the last 9 pages are devoted to the Austin 3-Litre Hydrolastic suspension (March 1968) both are from the 'Automobile Engineer' magazine.

Hydrolastic Springing - Automobile Engineer - Sep 1962
The Design & Development Story for the Morris 1100 suspension as told by Alex Moulton
http://copeland.id.au/wp-content/upload ... lastic.pdf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:38 am 

Reading the first post here, the first thing that springs to my mind is the hydrolastic displacers were I suspect BMCs equivalent "moon landing" in terms of complexity. Now it seems, just like NASA, we of BMC persuasion are somewhat unable to pick up the method and skills without the huge expense of starting completely from scratch.....that is of course, should we mortals really wish to have displacers back on the shelves.

Last edited by mini63 on Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:09 am 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
Thanks for sharing that great article. I think that sadly it highlights some of the problems in trying to get these manufactured.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:42 am 

Spider wrote:
winabbey wrote:
Does anyone know of a source of supply of the original style herringbone hose? I assume it was made by Dunlop.

Not exact but certainly close appearance is the Aeroquip 1503 Hose. It is well enough rated in every way, but I'm not 100% sure on it's comparability with Hyrdo Fluid.

Thanks for that reference. If this is the stuff you are referring to then it looks like hydro fluid wouldn't be a problem as it says its application includes gasoline, fuel and lubricating oils. The pattern certainly looks similar to the Dunlop herringbone.

http://hosewarehouse.com/1503-10-Aeroqu ... 100R5-Hose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:09 pm 

Isn't the external wrap on that particular hose actually a textile braid weave with no rubber coating?

I seem to recall that is how it is made. Could be wrong of course.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:56 pm 

Location: N/E England Where the SAND is GOLDEN and the sea is always COLD!!
smithyrc30 wrote:
Isn't the external wrap on that particular hose actually a textile braid weave with no rubber coating?

I seem to recall that is how it is made. Could be wrong of course.

YES

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:19 am 

"It floats on fluid" - Television commercial for the introduction of the Morris 1100 into Australia in 1964.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiO_Q4ykLVQ

Morris 1100 television commercial from New Zealand. Made for the New Zealand British Motor Corporation (BMC) distributor Dominion Motors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TwOc62YXJc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:50 pm 

Hope this isn't off-topic, but does anybody know what visible signs may indicate that a displacer is worn and needs replacing? Other than the car sagging, of course.

3/4 of my displacers look fine, the rubber looks like that of the gold-plated displacer above, but the fourth is showing what looks like dry cracking on the top. Not sure if this is only the visible portion. It held pressure fine when the car was last together, a couple years ago. But that could have changed over time?

I'll try and post some pics.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:12 pm 

From my experience I would say if it's holding pressure then just run with it. I've seen the same perished looking surfaces that you are talking about last for donkeys years. Currently the only item that can be replaced is the hose/end fitting so any other part showing signs of age is either tolerated or the whole unit replaced with one in better condition. Unless you intend to go rallying I'd say it'll last a very long time. I'll probably find mine lying lop sided in the garage tomorrow now, curses !

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:46 am 

111Robin wrote:
From my experience I would say if it's holding pressure then just run with it. I've seen the same perished looking surfaces that you are talking about last for donkeys years. Currently the only item that can be replaced is the hose/end fitting so any other part showing signs of age is either tolerated or the whole unit replaced with one in better condition. Unless you intend to go rallying I'd say it'll last a very long time. I'll probably find mine lying lop sided in the garage tomorrow now, curses !

Great, thanks.

That's what I figured, they're probably fine but I had doubts since the car sat in a dry desert for many years. And knowing my luck, the displacers all worked fine, and at least one of them will fail the minute I put the car back together on four wheels. :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next