mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Drophead 1300
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:52 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:24 am
Posts: 933
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Looks proper.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
"You must learn, Keats, there are more things to life than breaking and entering."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drophead 1300
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:13 pm
Posts: 4131
Location: North East
That's a Crayford. They only made about 12 of them as they were quite expensive at the time.

There's some info on the Crayford site.

Crayford Convertible Car Club

Whilst reading that page I discovered this, The Crayford 1100/1300 Estate. Based on the saloon but with an A40 Countryman style split rear hatch.

Attachment:
1100_1300_Crayford Estate.jpg


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drophead 1300
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:16 pm
Posts: 6958
surfblue63 wrote:

Whilst reading that page I discovered this, The Crayford 1100/1300 Estate. Based on the saloon but with an A40 Countryman style split rear hatch.

Attachment:
1100_1300_Crayford Estate.jpg


and the joke is that had they made the 1300 with the split tailgate I bet they would have sold loads of them

_________________
should you wish, you can contact me on rich@minispares.com

'long beard boss'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drophead 1300
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:01 pm
Posts: 2315
Location: Dunfermline, Fife
Mimicking a far superior vehicle

8-)

Al


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drophead 1300
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:33 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:24 am
Posts: 933
Location: Adelaide, Australia
surfblue63 wrote:
That's a Crayford. They only made about 12 of them as they were quite expensive at the time.

There's some info on the Crayford site.

Crayford Convertible Car Club

Whilst reading that page I discovered this, The Crayford 1100/1300 Estate. Based on the saloon but with an A40 Countryman style split rear hatch.

Attachment:
1100_1300_Crayford Estate.jpg


Ahh yes cheers.

_________________
"You must learn, Keats, there are more things to life than breaking and entering."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drophead 1300
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:24 am
Posts: 933
Location: Adelaide, Australia
rich@minispares.com wrote:
surfblue63 wrote:

Whilst reading that page I discovered this, The Crayford 1100/1300 Estate. Based on the saloon but with an A40 Countryman style split rear hatch.

Attachment:
1100_1300_Crayford Estate.jpg


and the joke is that had they made the 1300 with the split tailgate I bet they would have sold loads of them


We aussies did a decent job of it and still couldnt sell them....
It was probably E-series anchor that didnt help.


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

_________________
"You must learn, Keats, there are more things to life than breaking and entering."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drophead 1300
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 3750
"The launch of the Mk2 version of the ADO16 in Autumn 1967 marked the first official availability of the two-door body style in the UK market. This lent itself to a drop-top conversion and, sure enough, Crayford came up with the goods within a couple of years, announcing their Convertible in February 1969."
https://www.aronline.co.uk/the-converte ... /bmc-1100/

Image

Image

The converters : Crayford Engineering
https://www.aronline.co.uk/the-converte ... d/history/

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drophead 1300
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:59 pm
Posts: 1198
Location: Aberdeen Scotland
Wasn't there someone doing hatch conversions using an mgb gt tailgate ?. Think I remember seeing an ad' in one of the old Autocar magazines.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drophead 1300
PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:47 pm
Posts: 549
See the other thread on Princess hatchbacks for details


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Drophead 1300
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:08 pm
Posts: 3750
111Robin wrote:
Wasn't there someone doing hatch conversions using an mgb gt tailgate ?. Think I remember seeing an ad' in one of the old Autocar magazines.


Creech Motors: The Mystique
"The little-known Mystique demonstrates an alternative (and somewhat neater) approach to giving the 1100 a rear hatch. Developed and produced by Gerald Fry, owner of Somerset-based BL dealers Creech Motors, the conversion made ingenious use of an MGB GT tailgate, which was neatly integrated into the 1100’s sloping rear end.
The fuel filler was relocated from the bodyside onto the rear panel, giving the car a cleaner overall appearance. Delivery time was six to eight weeks, and the cost of the conversion was just £145. It is not known how many Mystiques were built, and sadly, none are thought to have survived."
(Scroll to end of Crayford article)
https://www.aronline.co.uk/the-converte ... /bmc-1100/


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Localized by Maël Soucaze © 2010 phpBB.fr