mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:18 pm 

"The Morris Marina at Cowley and how this vital car for British Leyland was going to be built. During its development, the production line was completely gutted, giving the plant the capability of producing some 5000 cars per week."
https://www.aronline.co.uk/cars/morris/ ... roduction/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:52 am 
Site Admin

A great example as to how DEMENTED the BL management was by the early 1970's.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:19 pm 

I actually quite liked my marina :oops:

yes, it was crap, but not that much worse than many 60's saloons to drive.

And it was bright orange, which is never a bad thing in a car. In fact, I had a similarly bright orange VW camper at the same time, so outside our house always had a warm glow. :lol:

Al

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:39 pm 

Think Morris Marinas are a bit like Status Quo, quite like them now, almost cool, but dont remember them like that back in the day :lol: (sorry Pandora) .......almost beginning to like Allegros these days.......which is worrying :lol:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:48 pm 

Over here the Marina was badged as an Austin instead of Morris. There were quite a few of them in the area where I grew up but certainly not as many as MG Midgets and MGBs. Fast forward to the 2010s and a friend of mine decided to get involved with "Chump Car" and "LeMons" racing ($500 cars running endurance races). His wheels of choice was a Marina into which he transplanted an MGB engine and gearbox. After a few seasons they had taken the car as far as they could and it has now been retired.

I am not on Facebook but my friend is. You can see a few pictures of his Marina (the white/purple #2 car) in the link below.
https://www.facebook.com/AustinPowerlessRacing/

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:13 pm 

Gave me about 18 months of employment in Pressed Steel Cowley A Building.. often rusty before they were assembled as the roof leaked water onto the sills before they were were fitted into the side frame jigs. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:15 pm 

Exminiman wrote:
Think Morris Marinas are a bit like Status Quo, quite like them now, almost cool, but dont remember them like that back in the day :lol: (sorry Pandora)

I should say, I owned mine about 12 years ago, and it was a daft 'what's a cheap car we can buy' idea as we needed something when Robin was born.

Say what you like about crap 70's metal, but their boots were bigger than modern stuff - the pushchair / 'travel system' positively rattled about in there! :lol:

I do remember the struggle in the hospital car park to fit the baby seat into a non inertia reel belt.... "no dear, he'll be fine, I'm sure!" :? 8-)

Al

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:34 pm 

The mid size ADO16 car was always going to be a hard act to follow. I've still got them in my garage and they drive lovely. The Austin Allegro was not as really bad as some people made out. The Morris Marina was just a modern Morris Minor and I never liked them and never owned one :D

Alan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

Super,

What you say is absolutely correct.

Allegro - Not as bad as people make out, but not as good as the 1100 / 1300. A definite retrograde step.

Marina - Pimped Morris Minor. A horrible update of a hopelessly outdated car when it was first introduced. Just plain crazy!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:21 pm 

It's what the fleet market demanded though, simple, no frills, rear wheel drive, so whereas it isn't anything to get worked up about I can still see the rationale behind it. The fleet market weren't too keen on hydrolastic/front wheel drive so they had to build something that would sell. I remember us driving from Stirling to Paignton in one for our summer holiday, probably '76. Don't remember anything good/bad about it, but I was only 9. My dad says it was gutless but with four up and fully laden roof rack it's not surprising. I do remember it boiling over in a huge motorway jam, but then so did most cars during that heatwave. Not sure I would give one garage space today though.