mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:56 pm 

Vulgalour wrote:
I was tipped off that Expressed Steel has a bit of a sale going on with panels at the moment: http://www.steelpanels.co.uk/category/b ... stin-1100/ and they have the trumpets I need. Unfortunately, cash is tight until next month/some customers pay me this month so I can't do anything about it just yet. Certainly the trumpet will be easier to do with a new panel than trying to build one from scratch.

nothing super cheap in the sale though!

trumpets do turn up on ebay, I got both of mine in a week for less than 60 quid

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:22 pm 

here is a full lh inner wing with the trumpet attached....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-1100-I ... Swf~9ZaJwl

and a pair of the mud deflectors

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-Morris ... SwWdZZYmR4

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:16 pm 

Already on the watch list :) I'm keeping an eye out for a bargain. Just a bit stuck at the moment, waiting on payments clearing, which can happen in a few hours or a few weeks... the joys of self employment there.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:28 pm 

You're a brave man... That looks goosed...!

I scrapped a mk1 estate because of the bulkhead, they're a tricky part to repair on these.

If you need any parts, I have quite a few...

Ed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
I just love your can do attitude with this purple terror!

I look forward to the next update.

Its great to see someone putting so much effort into a car that most people would walk away from.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:39 pm 

teddmcedd: like I said, borderline ;) You don't happen to have inner wing trumpets for less than £90 a side do you? That would be handy. As would a clutch slave cylinder.

mk1: your wish is my command. Happily, I'm not most people so this one gets a second chance.

---

Another day, another update. Today, the inner wing and Mini floor pan arrived. A little later, the throttle cable arrived. Fitting the throttle cable and refitting the choke cable went smoothly and the electrics no longer attempt to earth through those. Also, the car decided it was going to start on the ignition key just fine today without us touching anything. Because ADO16 on that one I reckon. The floor pan is plenty big enough and while it is for the opposite side of a Mini, it'll do just fine for this car. The inner wing only repairs the upper half of the inner wing but again, this is not a problem because that's all I need and it was CHEAP.
Image20170717-01 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Image20170717-02 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

I then spend a very, very long time with thinners, brushes and a wire brush in a drill cleaning off the underseal and old paint and loose rust. This took forever and the unit is like an oven today. No horrors unearthed, overall there was more good metal still there than expected. I gave it all a coat of zinc primer so it doesn't flash rust, this is easy to take back when I do the repairs and a good way of temporarily stabilising things since I'm not entirely sure how long this repair is going to take me to complete.
Image20170717-03 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Image20170717-04 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Image20170717-05 by Angyl Roper, on Flickr

Then I ran out of time. I'm planning to go in tomorrow and finish the clean up on this inner wing. In all honesty, it was simply too hot to be doing welding today, I was sweating cobs just in casual work clothes, there's no way I wanted to be wrapped up in all my welding gear. I reckon by the end of this week I should have this inner wing at least pieced together, if not finished.

The last things to note is that the clutch slave cylinder is indeed in need of replacement since it's stuck solid and there isn't anything missing on the front seat adjusters after all. The seats do adjust with a tiny little lever, as pointed out to me by various folks, and I was just over thinking it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:39 pm 

Just buy a new slave. They are mega cheap and not worth messing with old ones or trying to reseal them.

If the masters are goosed then mini ones fit, you just have to swop the push rods as they are longer on an 1100.

My sports coupe has the plastic ones fitted from my race mini from when I upgraded to the correct tin ones

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:44 pm 

Full replacement is barely any more cost than rebuild and a lot easier so it's definitely the route I'm going. Shall be heading in to try and finish that underseal removal today before I have to be at work later. I hate removing underseal, it's such a chore.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:06 pm 

OMG you have my old car, first question out the way is it for sale? Id love to buy it back!!!! Well done for saving her i thought she was gone forever.

Secondly if you want to know the history let me know, but i attach two pictures when i owned it....i painted it both black household gloss then finally purple

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:09 pm 

the purple people pleaser

and so it is named...............

'long beard boss'

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 21  Next