mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:09 pm 

I might be getting mine dynoed at last, but thats more for the other events i do, the fact it'll run better for Blyton is just a bonus.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:52 am 

I'd love too, but it's too close to the "bosses" birthday and a weekend tenting is apparently not at all romantic or appropriate???

Plus the last trackday, I scared the bejesus out of her...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:32 am 

Well blow me down I have been given a place from the reserve list! Car is getting its new SA crank 1071 lump dyno tuned on the 8th of April.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:18 pm 

Look forward to seeing it, I've been watching the build on turbominis.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:26 am 

Tuned ready for action...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3N-aO0OJa ... load_owner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:58 pm 

gr4h4m wrote:

you will need a rev counter that goes to 10!

:lol:

my race car will go to 8500 on the dyno, but its just about all done by then

I, er, ahem saw will past 10 at donington last year (twice) when I put it back into first instead of third :shock: :shock: :shock:

my gtm has a std triumph rev counter the stops at a pathetic 7 grand, its an utter waste of time, I spent most of the lap at Blyton with it off the gauge

looking forward to seen yours though, those 1071 sa cranks are bombproof, so a supercharged one will be a treat to see

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:19 pm 

TBH Rich, the car sounded like there was more in it... but as I built the engine to hit a number that when it did I decided that pushing the timing or revs more didn't seem worth it on the day. I didn't want to go home thinking it made a number until I blew it up...

a few months time I might change my mind :D

rich@minispares.com wrote:
gr4h4m wrote:

you will need a rev counter that goes to 10!

:lol:

my race car will go to 8500 on the dyno, but its just about all done by then

I, er, ahem saw will past 10 at donington last year (twice) when I put it back into first instead of third :shock: :shock: :shock:

my gtm has a std triumph rev counter the stops at a pathetic 7 grand, its an utter waste of time, I spent most of the lap at Blyton with it off the gauge

looking forward to seen yours though, those 1071 sa cranks are bombproof, so a supercharged one will be a treat to see

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:30 pm 

gr4h4m wrote:

a few months time I might change my mind :D

I would say that realistically a 1071 will see about 8500 easily before you start to have issues with cams, springs etc, and trying to get more just means that you have to move the cam timing at the expense of low down use, or get used to hammering the hell out of the cam, followers and springs, the boastability factor of claiming a 9 grand rev limit just isn't worth if for the hassles, my race car will see past nine on down shifts, but the SW23 has a great band from low down to 8500, its just not worth buzzing it more gong up the box, with the 4.3 final drive its just about perfect as it is.

the biggest strength of a sa1071 cranked motor isn't the top trump rev limit, but its ability to sit all day long at 7500rpm, and never, ever do miserable things like pop head gaskets (never done one in any of my sa cranked cars in 20 years!)

the 10 plus over rev didn't really do much damage, it finished the race still going strong, but is sulking about starting now (filling it up with pre mixed two stroke petrol hasn't helped....) and I suspect it might have just tweeked a valve or two, laziness has prevented me from taking the head off to look so far!

great little engines

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:19 pm 

Thanks Rich, that was my thinking too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:59 am 

long range weather forecast , looks pretty much like last year, 17 days to go !

Attachment:
FullSizeRender.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next