mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: A Big Thankyou
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 12:46 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
I just wanted to reiterate a few points made by Pete earlier in the thread.

First, a massive thank you to everyone who came down to Blyton to share your cars with us & have a great couple of days using, talking about & generally enjoying our cars & each others company. Also a massive thank you to Jon & Jan for their STERLING WORK on the gate again, I REALLY don't know what we would do without you!

Pete & I were really sorry about the lack of an evening do this year, but as Pete has already explained this was somewhat out of our control.

I'm sure that Pete & I were not the only ones that noticed that although the track action was thick & fast & we were lucky enough to have some great cars on track & on display, visitor numbers were noticeably down on the last couple of years. This could have been down to many factors, weather, lack of interest, better things to do over the bank holiday weekend. What the actual reason is, I guess we will never know.

However, it has convinced us that next year a smaller event for those wanting to take part is probably the best way to go. We are therefore currently thinking about arranging something more akin to the first year. Over one evening & one day, open to everyone, but we won't be trying to promote it to the general public like we did this year.

The most important thing is that we have, with your help, already raised more money than last year & with Len's very generous donation of one of his beautiful steering wheels we are guaranteed to make even more money yet!

As for my own woes, it is a classic example of "Do as I say not as I do" I was stupid enough to risk my new engine without having a dyno session after it's incredibly expensive winter rebuild, & it promptly repaid my love by melting 2 pistons early on on Sunday morning. Nothing that can't be fixed though. However, if I can't get it dyno'd before Harewood, I'll be doing it in the Sprint.

Thank again to everyone who came to Blyton, here's to 2017.

Mark F

1933 MG J2
1943 Willys MB
1961 Morris 850
1963 Minisprint
1965 Speedwell S
1965 Hornet
1967 Austin Cooper S
1968 Terrapin
1968 Downton Tuned 1300 MK2

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:22 pm 

mk1 wrote:
I just wanted to reiterate a few points made by Pete earlier in the thread.

First, a massive thank you to everyone who came down to Blyton to share your cars with us & have a great couple of days using, talking about & generally enjoying our cars & each others company. Also a massive thank you to Jon & Jan for their STERLING WORK on the gate again, I REALLY don't know what we would do without you!

Pete & I were really sorry about the lack of an evening do this year, but as Pete has already explained this was somewhat out of our control.

I'm sure that Pete & I were not the only ones that noticed that although the track action was thick & fast & we were lucky enough to have some great cars on track & on display, visitor numbers were noticeably down on the last couple of years. This could have been down to many factors, weather, lack of interest, better things to do over the bank holiday weekend. What the actual reason is, I guess we will never know.

However, it has convinced us that next year a smaller event for those wanting to take part is probably the best way to go. We are therefore currently thinking about arranging something more akin to the first year. Over one evening & one day, open to everyone, but we won't be trying to promote it to the general public like we did this year.

The most important thing is that we have, with your help, already raised more money than last year & with Len's very generous donation of one of his beautiful steering wheels we are guaranteed to make even more money yet!

As for my own woes, it is a classic example of "Do as I say not as I do" I was stupid enough to risk my new engine without having a dyno session after it's incredibly expensive winter rebuild, & it promptly repaid my love by melting 2 pistons early on on Sunday morning. Nothing that can't be fixed though. However, if I can't get it dyno'd before Harewood, I'll be doing it in the Sprint.

Thank again to everyone who came to Blyton, here's to 2017.

Mark F

Just thought I'd mention I found about this through Facebook somewhere. So any effort put into that wasn't a waste for me! :D (Honda Mongrel)
If I can join in next year again ill be sure to bring some semi slicks! ;)

Also if it makes any difference I could only make the Sat this year due to finding out about it less than a week before. Id do both days if they were on!
Thanks for the event!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:47 pm 

Just to answer an earlier question. The reason we'll probably go back to a one day event is that Javelin require a minimum number of cars to make it financially viable, around 50, so we were quite a few short both days this year. I'm pretty confident we can sell out one day though and we still get the afternoon before and the evening do. Personally I also thought that two days watered down what would have been a much busier event if we'd all been there on the same day, as we were on 'AD1'. What about the Sunday on the late May bank holiday folks? Somebody mentioned Shelsley as well over the weekend but a lot further sarf obviously!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:00 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
As we have all frozen to death for the last 2 years, I would now NOT be against moving to a later date.

1933 MG J2
1943 Willys MB
1961 Morris 850
1963 Minisprint
1965 Speedwell S
1965 Hornet
1967 Austin Cooper S
1968 Terrapin
1968 Downton Tuned 1300 MK2

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:09 pm 

Well, I would like to say a big thank you too.
This was my first time to Blyton ( in the Morris 1300gt) and although I have thought about going for the other 2 events the distance to travel in an old mini did concern me , infact I was a bit worried about the morris but with 415mile round trip all was well.
Once I parked up on Saturday and had a walk about I was a bit surprised at how quite it was, but what it did not lack in was the quality and variation of the cars. They really are a tribute to you all and hard work and for those of you that risk mechanical failure on the track , fair play. There was a lot of moneys worth giving it hell for leather and I must admit I felt I should have took my metro engine clubman along but I don't think I would have been able to walk the next day.
I sense a little disappointment from the organisers but you really should be very proud of yourselves , just getting the cars and genuine people in one place let alone raising for a good charity is no easy feat.
Thank you and well done , next year will not come round quick enough.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:18 pm 

underkut wrote:
I was a bit surprised at how quite it was, but what it did not lack in was the quality and variation of the cars. .

this is the thing with blyton - it may look quiet, but then you look at the amount of really decent cars and people there, and then look at the quality of the cars on the track

in two days there was no damage or danger on the track, and the only red flags where for the very few incidents of car breakdowns

who would want it to be ram packed out with all the fancy dress, horn blowers who go to all the normal shows, or the know all anoraks who stride around slagging off everybodys cars, or the people who go on the track at the action day where its a non stop procession of dangerous driving and red flags....

id rather it stay as it is, decent people, decent cars, decent traders - this is the benefit of it been a free entry show, as long as the track hire is covered by the people on the track there is no need for javlin/whoever to ram as much money making in as possible

long may it continue

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:29 pm 

I have attended all three Blyton's and I did feel the spectator numbers were down on previous years, but as for those tacking part, I saw the same decent and enthusiastic group of owners that I have seen at each of the previous events. Long may it continues as far as I am concerned. It works.

But, it was chuffing cold.....

This was at 5:30 on Sunday when I gave up trying to sleep and went for a warm shower. Well once I managed to break out of the tent.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:33 pm 

rich@minispares.com wrote:
underkut wrote:
I was a bit surprised at how quite it was, but what it did not lack in was the quality and variation of the cars. .

this is the thing with blyton - it may look quiet, but then you look at the amount of really decent cars and people there, and then look at the quality of the cars on the track

in two days there was no damage or danger on the track, and the only red flags where for the very few incidents of car breakdowns

who would want it to be ram packed out with all the fancy dress, horn blowers who go to all the normal shows, or the know all anoraks who stride around slagging off everybodys cars, or the people who go on the track at the action day where its a non stop procession of dangerous driving and red flags....

id rather it stay as it is, decent people, decent cars, decent traders - this is the benefit of it been a free entry show, as long as the track hire is covered by the people on the track there is no need for javlin/whoever to ram as much money making in as possible

long may it continue

here here, i totally agree, don't change anything that's not broken, this was my 3rd action day, keep it "real" and continue as we are !

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 3:36 pm 

Richspec wrote:
also lack of run off compared to Blyton is a downside

Run off is fine tbh if you have a run around it there is more than you think.

Richspec wrote:
I'm not sure how the layout works for keeping everything happening in the same paddock, like Blyton?

Its a good size Paddock dont as big as the fields and fields at Blyton but i would say it was big enough if they can host track days and sprints on the site. The Club house is high up as well you can stand in that and still see whats going on around the track.

I was just an idea

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:34 pm 

mk1 wrote:
As we have all frozen to death for the last 2 years, I would now NOT be against moving to a later date.

I have been to the last two Blyton weekends, neither with a car !! but next year I will definitely be on track :o :o :o :o
My vote would be for a later date, Blyton's fine but a bit further south would not be sniffed at, I suppose Javelin et al are a necessary evil, However, any shortfall in income would, I'm sure, get a very positive response to a crowd source appeal. Don't let the bureaucrats grind us down. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Ian.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next